So what IS a muscle car?

-

lilfontleroy

annoyinglilLeroy
Reaction score
ok, @diymirage said something in a thread that made me wonder about the definition of a muscle car.. top speed? quarter mile time? power to weight ratio? options or lack of? price?

Definition[edit]
The definition of muscle car is subjective and frequently debated.[3][4] Muscle cars often have many of the following characteristics:[3][5][6][7][8][9][10]

• A large V8 engine in the most powerful configuration offered for a particular model
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • Being manufactured in the United States in the 1960s or early 1970s (the specific year range of 1964–1973 is sometimes used)[5]
  • A relatively lightweight two-door body (opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars,[11] as it is sometimes claimed that only intermediate cars can be considered muscle cars)[3][5]
  • An affordable price
  • Being designed for straight-line drag racing, while remaining street legal.
High-power pony cars are sometimes considered muscle cars, however personal luxury cars are often too expensive to be considered muscle cars.[3] Sports cars and sports sedans are not usually considered muscle cars, since they are generally associated with circuit racing rather than drag racing.[12] Muscle cars are an extension of the hot rodding philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it, for the purpose of increased straight-line speed.[12]

The lightest possible street legal body with the largest engine that fits between the rails.

In that case, none of the 340 A bodies were muscle cars, since a big block can fit in any of them 67 and up.

The lightest possible street legal body with the largest engine that fits between the rails.

Definition[edit]
The definition of muscle car is subjective and frequently debated.[3][4] Muscle cars often have many of the following characteristics:[3][5][6][7][8][9][10]

• A large V8 engine in the most powerful configuration offered for a particular model
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • Being manufactured in the United States in the 1960s or early 1970s (the specific year range of 1964–1973 is sometimes used)[5]
  • A relatively lightweight two-door body (opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars,[11] as it is sometimes claimed that only intermediate cars can be considered muscle cars)[3][5]
  • An affordable price
  • Being designed for straight-line drag racing, while remaining street legal.
High-power pony cars are sometimes considered muscle cars, however personal luxury cars are often too expensive to be considered muscle cars.[3] Sports cars and sports sedans are not usually considered muscle cars, since they are generally associated with circuit racing rather than drag racing.[12] Muscle cars are an extension of the hot rodding philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it, for the purpose of increased straight-line speed.[12]
so power to weight.. post 2 and the usual suspects/definition in post 3.. but I can afford what I want (affordable price is a subjective thing) and it makes 707HP and will eat most 60's and 70's cars for lunch, plus I can start it from indoors, sit in it for hours on end comfortably and not have to stop at nearly every gas station between here and Timbuctoo ~~ is it not a muscle car? Why can't an all wheel drive car be a muscle car? Why can't it be comfortable and "easy" to drive? Think evolution and even one up man ship.

Look at the factory muscle cars. Even the later ones. I think the definition changed a little through the years. From large by huge engines to standard engines with just stripe and appearance packages. The factories after all invented mucsle cars, so it's only fair to use their definition. Not necessarily the biggest engine, but rather a combination of things to create a certain package.

"Just what is a Muscle Car? Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it. To balance this out, handling, braking and related essentials are modified to result in a performance machine for the streets. They tack racy names to the car: GTA, GTO, GTX, or just plain GT; R/T, SST, SS, GS or, for the lack of better initials, 4-4-2. They doll the car up with fancy trimmings and put it up for sale. And it sells like crazy"....Road Test Magazine 1967

I would just boil it down to the basics: A car built to exceed normal production performance standards, especially in a straight line...

The way I always defined it, is a car with no options other then big engine and heavy duty drive train

No AC, powesteering or heated mirror
Manual windows

Thank kind of stuff...basically a road runner

The way I always defined it, is a car with no options other then big engine and heavy duty drive train

No AC, powesteering or heated mirror
Manual windows

Thank kind of stuff...basically a road runner

Then where does the GTX fit in? It was a luxury muscle car. You could get them slap loaded.

I would just boil it down to the basics: A car built to exceed normal production performance standards, especially in a straight line...

I think that pretty much nails it.

Anything built with the intention of more performance than is necessary. Think of the body builder that doesn’t need huge biceps to lift his protein drink to his mouth, but he wants bigger ones anyway.

And just because it can stop and turn better and is comfortable to drive, doesn’t mean it stops being a muscle car.

Yeah, what the factory considered "muscle" car for the time period it was built. A factory HP package of some sort, usually starting with what was an upgraded engine and it worked it's way back. This would include the Early A 273 commando package, 340 cars, etc. However, to me now, it's just about any car made from 64-74 when the muscle war was truly on between the car companies. You can always add the bigger motor and such

Then where does the GTX fit in? It was a luxury muscle car. You could get them slap loaded.
I would consider it a luxury car
Kinda like the audi A8...450 hp V8
Plenty of muscle, but also tons of luxury

I won't deny luxury cars can be fast, but i will say muscle cars can't be luxurious

(And that's just my opinion of course)

Edit: almost forgot my main point...no money spend on options that don't make it faster
Once you start doing that, your leaving muscle car territory and entering the luxury segment

"Muscle car" is in the eye of the beholder. And how much it sits you back in your seat (against your will)!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

You think a 428 SCJ Mustang or a 427 COPO Camaro were pony cars?
midsize performance cars..gto, chevelle,road runner, skylark, olds cutlass, charger etc. Muscle cars
camaro, cuda, cougar, mustang etc . Pony cars
dart, duster, nova, maverick, economy cars!

To me Muscle car started at the valve in head introduction and stopped at the power killing drop in compression due to the gas crunch.

After reading about this debate since the late 1980's, I've distilled the essence of the term to mean a car built with identifiers such as badging or stripes, that marks it as a performance oriented car.

This solves the "rockett 88" issue as well as the 318 Road Runner issue.
It also addresses the "muscle" car that is also a "pony car" issue.
...and addresses the big car with a big engine issue- if it's "advertised", it's "in".

Anything beyond the compression kill of the 70`s would be a performance car and not muscle car. The newer high horse fun to drive cars are the best example of a performance car.

The Valiant was available with the 4 barrel 273. Was it a muscle car? Chrysler didn't think so.

-
Back