Solid lifter information wanted

-

Demonracer

71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need someone well versed in SBM solid roller cam lifters to answer some questions for me,
Thanks in advance

Can you PM me your email address? I'll send some pictures with the questions. Thanks for the quick response.

Dont sent them to me....i dont use solid roller lifters...post the questions here.....alot more people will see them

I need to know if anyone can tell me who made some lifters that I recently acquired. I have pictures but am having problems getting the pictures to load.

What lifters do you “think” you have, and do they look like what the manufacturer shows?

Are they solid body with no oil band ? Or the other way around? Do they have oil holes all around the wheel n axle?

If I had more information, I would post it & I'm having trouble loading pictures.

They re probably the old dumbell lifters. Strange looking critters but were in every 273 from 64 through 67.

Posting pictures for Demonracer

83C0F50A-D087-4AC2-86C0-5D601FED8C77.jpeg
91091634-4352-4DBA-8457-A21879A35485.jpeg
1C096D14-859D-4024-8798-4821C5F9F912.jpeg

Okay, it's been suggested that these lifters may be Engle or Chet Herbert lifters. I've looked on their sites & haven't found anything that matches. I'll be calling them this week & see if they can help me out. What I actually need is to repair one of the lifters, or replace it as the roller & axle one one is messed up slightly. The lifter body isn't damaged luckily.

Wow...those are antiques!!!

They may be Herbert lifters. Chet was the first to build them IIRC
and the early designs were odd looking.

Wyrmryder should chime in....he was a part of that 60's hot rod crowd and likely had lunch with Chet and his contemporaries back in the day...

Anyone else have any idea who might have made these lifters? I've contacted Engle & Chet Herbert & sent pictures. I'm awaiting replies from them.

Anyone else have any idea who might have made these lifters? I've contacted Engle & Chet Herbert & sent pictures. I'm awaiting replies from them.
I doubt Herbert will be of any help. Chet passed long ago and Doug may not be old enough to have any info from his Dad's products from 60 years ago.

Chet was a cool guy. Member Wyrmryder knew him I'm sure. He was confined to a wheelchair but ran his shop everyday. He was so busy his phone would ring off the hook until about 8pm before he'd answer. I used his cams in my Ford dirt cars for several years.

He gave a lot of bucks down racers a cam to "try", replaced wrong picked cams
I don't know those lifters, but then there's lots I don't remember
I do remember adjusting the valves on the twin chevies at the 1962 AHRA nationals at Cado Mills Texas
Trak was greasey so we tightened the lash on the "400 degree" cams and took the injector stacks off
Blown HEmi's went up in smoke
We won top fuel with the 452 327 chevies (Zane) and top gas with the 400 inch 4x4s (Lefty) stock heads and rockers
I've told this story before but one of the top hemi finalists blew his motor and another already out of it competator loaned him his motor to make the finlals. I think Ed Garlits was involved any sportsmanship was alive and well back then
You may wonder how Chet had 327 chevies in fall of 62 when they did not come out till the 63 models...

I've pretty much run into the wall chasing the rollers. I guess I'm going to take my block & get the oil passage sleeved, I can't afford the newer roller lifters that don't need the passage sleeved or have the lifter bores sleeved. One of the two should be in my budgetary constraints. It's tough to be retired & on a budget these days.

Just bought a set of Morel lifters that don't need bushed bores. They were $450ish

Unfortunately that price is out of bounds for me at the moment.

The only reason to bush the lifter bores is to keep the lifter oil band covered when you run a high lift camshaft.

I don't know what that lift is.... but if you are running a street cam you may not need to do it.

I know all about budget constraints.... I'm retired but working 60 hours per week to fund my racing and to try to maintain a somewhat normal lifestyle. (Believe me I'm not a spendthrift... I live in an old dump that takes $$$ to maintain!).

You can find good, used lifters. You can tube the block yourself. If you are on FB Jody Cash has a page called " Mopar mafia" and he had a couple videos on the procedure.

The cam I'm going to run is a Comp 20-000-9, gross intake lift is .690, exhaust .660, duration @ .050 intake is 278, exhaust 280 LS 108.0. It's a pretty rowdy cam going in my 416 bracket car engine.

Last edited:
-
Back