Solid roller cam question

-

HuntedDuckV351

Reaction score
So I'm putting another race motor together and needed some help on cam selection....Cars weights 3200 with me in it powerglide 1.80 gearset. 5.00 rear gear. Will have the bloomer heads with a victor 340 intake running on E85. I plan on going with 1.6 rockers. I thinking something in the .440 lobe 270 274 @50 on a 108 LSA.

A few more things a cam supplier will likely want to know…..

-engine displacement
-stall speed
-tire size
-header size
-desired max rpm
-1/8 or 1/4 mile

A few more things a cam supplier will likely want to know…..

-engine displacement
-stall speed
-tire size
-header size
-desired max rpm
-1/8 or 1/4 mile
Yep sorry....408, convertor flashes 6100 but I'm gonna bring that down to 5900....14x32 tires 1 7/8headers and 1/8th mile....

Bore
Stroke
Rod length
RPM at peak torque
RPM at peak power

And if you have an idea of what you want for effective compression ratio. If not I’ll pick what I think it should be for E85.

I’ll run some numbers tonight when I get home.

Another consideration will be what spring package will those heads accommodate?

No point selecting a cam that uses springs that won’t fit on the heads.

Sounds like a running combo.
What heads are you running now?

Is this a head change or just a cam swap?

Bore
Stroke
Rod length
RPM at peak torque
RPM at peak power

And if you have an idea of what you want for effective compression ratio. If not I’ll pick what I think it should be for E85.

I’ll run some numbers tonight when I get home.
5000 guessing
6500 guessing

Thank you for the help

Another consideration will be what spring package will those heads accommodate?

No point selecting a cam that uses springs that won’t fit on the heads.

Sounds like a running combo.
What heads are you running now?

Is this a head change or just a cam swap?
Gonna run the 1238x pac springs with these heads...hoping to run 6.20s in the 1/8th
Have a set of Ryan J from shady Dell.
Gonna be a complete new motor

20220501_140227.jpg

I have had good results and customer experience specifying and ordering a custom cam grind with Howard's.
That's another great choice. I like how they give their grinds a lot of lift per duration. Just like a Chrysler needs.

When getting into the 400+ lobe lift range, I doubt anybody has a greater range to choose from than Comp. Chris Ryan at Comp can help you out & is very reliable.

Here's what I'd use. This is based on 12.6:1 compression and an effective compression ratio of 10.5:1, plus the other numbers you posted. And its also based on peak torque at 5000 and peak power at 6500.

303/271 .666
319/287 .661
110/107

That's for 1.6 rockers. If I had the choice I'd run 1.5's on the exhaust side so that's .620 lift and it would slow things down a bit.

Those are Howard's standard ramp mechanical roller lobes. So they are going to less aggressive than I could have used.

-
Back