Some Rust on Front Floor Panels

-

Dodge74

Reaction score
So,over the years, the person who had the car before me neglected to change the wiper arm gaskets and the water leaked through and has caused some rust on the front floor panels. The rust hasn't gone all the way through and isn't really heavy. I need some recommendations on what to use to remove the rust. The floors don't need to be changed, I just need to fix it.

I've attached some pics. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

PETE

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Attachments

• 018 (640x480).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 019 (640x480).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 020 (640x480).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 021 (640x480).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 022 (640x480).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 263
Start with a wire wheel clean as much off as you can then cover the still rusty sections with rustez rust disolver it can be found at home depot or walmart its a pink gel that will eat up the left over rust, then cover the clean floor pans with some rustoleum black brush on paint.

Attachments

• 3120VWRKM1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Rustoleum-Paint.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 229
Thanks every one...................................

....................... PETE ................................................................

Wire wheel on a grinder is what I use. and when it comes back from paint it will be painted with rust preventer.

Thanks every one for the help.............................

PETE......................

I second sand blasting. A wire wheel will almost polish (burnish) the metal and give a surface that is not desireable to paint over (it will eventually peel). If you can't sand blast, use a DA with 80 grit, or a 4 or 4.5 in grinder, this will give you a much better finnish for paint to stick too. I would also use "epoxy primer" and then a good sealer (color of the car) over that. I am not a fan of POR-15 (paint on your own risk)
Just my 02.

barracudadave67

Thanks .............................

................................... PETE...............

-
Back