Sometimes just clicks when try to start

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I have a 72 Duster 340 4 speed. The problem I am having is sometimes when I turn the key I just get a click. When I try again it starts. Does not happen all the time, but I am afraid one day it will not start and leave me stranded. I thought it might be a loose connection so I checked all the connections to make sure they are tight. I am thinking it might be the starter relay but not sure so thought I would get some input before I start changing parts. I not very good at electrical issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Just clicks
Check battery for at least 12 vdc
check battery cables to be making good contact and remove corrosion
Try jumping the car, if car turns over, then the battery is at fault
If working then the started relay needs to be changed
If still having problem the stater is getting bad

The click is the starter relay operating properly. I would assume the fault is at/in the starter. Todays most common course of action... Off to a parts yard for a modern high torque mini starter. Just know that this type doesn't typically have the intermittent failure / warning shot conditions that us old schoolers lived with, dare I say enjoyed?. You wont hit it with a hammer and get anther start from it. They just suddenly fail completely. So.. Japanese starters are like the people, bomb you without a warning. One in my 96 camry, another in grand daughters honda odyssey, both most recent examples, failed at home in the driveway. Just lucky I guess.

The small positive battery wire (10Ga. ?) to starter relay may have a bad connection. I had the exact same issue with mine and it was that.On my 1968 Dart

The contacts in your starter relay may be partially fouled. Each time you start your car the contacts engage each other in a slightly different way. It's possible that every now and then the portions that touch are fouled enough to prevent current flow. Jumping across the starter relay posts bypasses those contacts, so if doing so reliably turns it over every time then odds are the starter relay is bad. If not then odds are it's the starter. Of course this assumes that all of your connections are good and tight.

Mine has an aftermarket cable and this crimp connector was the culprit.
upload_2020-8-12_11-40-18.png

All of the connections seem to tight, I will check the crimp connector as kendog suggested and if its ok I will change the relay. Start with the cheapest thing first before I change the starter. I have never had a problem with any of these starters and it is not a an offshore starter, made in the U.S.

Cheapest and easiest thing to try is the relay, just because it is actuating does not mean it is making electrical connection

But as others have said could also be the starter.

Doubt it is the battery as it will start on the second try

I detest "throwing money" at stuff. Get a test light/ meter and do some testing.

FIRST is turn on the headlights and operate key. Do the headlights dim or go out? That is a clue. If not, continue on

Put a test light/ meter on the big square terminal of the start relay, and operate the key to start. What happens? Bright light/ battery voltage? Nothing?

If nothing you have starter relay troubles

If you have 12V in "start" then it's either the wire going down to the starter solenoid, or the starter itself

Found the problem. Went to an older guy that does starter/alternator rebuilds. He tested the starter and it was ok but the relay was week which caused the intermittent starting problem. He charged me $50 to do the testing and through in a new relay. He actually had one in stock with mopar on the box. Want to thank all you guys who gave input. i love this site

The main thing is I "hope you learned something." None of us knew this "once." When I was 16-18 I was already getting fairly good at some electrics and electronics. I was a licensed radio amateur by Jr in high school. Joined the Navy in 68 (they tried to draft me) and got ET electronics training.

But there was no internet, and if you wanted wiring diagrams you went to the dealer and ponied up for the factory service manual. There were "Motors Manuals" which were poor on the whole car.

Learn a bit about troubleshooting. It never hurts. If nothing else, might keep you from getting ripped off.

OK not saying this is it but just went through this. My 87 w150 318 would do that on occasion, battery/cables were fine, cleaned terminals and flud filmed them, a few months go buy does it on occasion, Ok I am at HD picking up a BBQ and the dam starter would not disengage with the key off! OK pull the battery terminal to get it to stop. Wait a bit hit the starter a few times, put the cable back on it cranks like normal now. Get a jump, limp it home (25 miles) of white knuckles) and ok let me get into it. Fine Get a mini starter for it, wow what a difference, life is good. Well around a week later it does it again click, click crank. Ok new starter relay now not much else there right? Life is good still to this day. Well want to find out what it was I hate throwing parts at things. The solenoid plunger on the starter itself the plate is pitted and was sticking/welded and would not disengage, ok that explains why it was cranking with the key off, Then why again? Open the old starter relay up and the solenoid contacts are pitted. So it was a combination of problems. Take your time and walk away when you start getting tunnel vision and don't over think the issue. Hope it helps.

I am currently dealing with a similar issue. I just picked up a 64 valiant wagon. The terminal G was broken off of the starter relay. I could hold it against the broken tab and it would start with the key. I replaced the relay and now just a click from the relay with key, but fires right up when I cross the terminals? Any help is appreciated

I am currently dealing with a similar issue. I just picked up a 64 valiant wagon. The terminal G was broken off of the starter relay. I could hold it against the broken tab and it would start with the key. I replaced the relay and now just a click from the relay with key, but fires right up when I cross the terminals? Any help is appreciated

I had a similar problem but I installed a 73 225 on my Grandson's 66 Dart and tried to start would not click or nothing so today I went to NAPA and bought a relay switch with a ground tab on it old one did not have one on it. Well installed and no click nothing so I decided to ad the ground wire to it and it magically started. Napa part # SR5SB

One thing these days is, the replacement parts are overseas junk unless you have NOS stuff. That relay that is two years old with low miles on it my be junk.

-
Back