Sound deadening, Carpet, and floor pan repair questions

-

chinze57

Push Button tranny and a Slant 6 that'll never die
Reaction score
The previous owner of my lovely 64 dart allowed the front floor pans to get into bad shape. There were pretty bad water leaks i discovered after buying it, which have now been 99% solved (intermittent one or two drips periodically). I'm planning on buying correct gauge steel, cutting out beyond the bad sections, and patching it. It's no huge spots, by and large its all in good shape, just an inch here and there that he "solved" by riveting sheet metal over.

So I'll remove all of that, weld in new steel, and clean everything up. That's a great opportunity for me, the carpet is in bad shape and could serve to be replaced, but while I'm at it I would like to add sound deadening. There's a whole lot of road noise, especially when I'm on the interstate. But also, I live in the deep south- it's hot down here as is, and a steel box with no a/c jsut absorbs it all.

So my questions are, what's the best sound deadening for this? Dynamat xtreme seems good for weight versus effectiveness, and it claims to also reduce interior temperatures. I would also like to add a layer under the headliner, in the doors, behind the kickpanels (will be adding speakers there), under the dash, and on the firewall. Whatever is going to be best for this is what I want to do. Remove as much exterior sound as possible without being so thick as to make it inconvenient, and if it can keep heat from outside out and make whatever A/C I install later not have to work as hard, that's helpful.

Where's a reliable source for carpet? I know classic industries sells carpet but I've had issues with them in the past for other parts so I'm hesitant to keep shopping with them if there are other reliable suppliers. What's the best method for applying sound deadening in doors and upside down? contact adhesive?

Best sound eliminator is choosing a quiet, stock type exhaust.

Check with Stock Interiors- super great service, good prices and it’s drop shipped from ACC who makes 95% of all carpet. I ordered on a Thursday and received my complete order the following Tuesday or Wednesday

Stock Interiors is the retail arm of ACC. I am of the understanding that ACC supply the majority of carpet to our hobby. I purchased thru Stock Interiors and it fit like a glove!

Best sound eliminator is choosing a quiet, stock type exhaust.
I've got stock exhaust right now, it's plenty quiet, but the road noise is insane and the heat here in the south makes your feet hot

Check with Stock Interiors- super great service, good prices and it’s drop shipped from ACC who makes 95% of all carpet. I ordered on a Thursday and received my complete order the following Tuesday or Wednesday

Awesome will do, thank you

Found stock interiors and the appropriate carpet fast. Very good price, excellent color choices, and lots of add ons. I don't want jute already applied as I'm planning to add 1-2 layers of sound deadening to reduce noise and heat, so not having it applied by default is helpful.

As mentioned above, everyone sells the same ACC carpet. Just shop for the lowest price + shipping. I did Stock Interiors the first time, Rock auto the second. Rock autos shipping was cheaper. Splurge and buy the mass backing. Carpet holds its shape much better. I think it is worth the money, having done it both ways.

Don’t by Dynamat. Massively overpriced. There are generic equivalents. I bought Noico from Amazon. Same stuff except way cheaper. Only difference was that the aluminum foil was a little thinner. Buy it in as big of sheets as possible. Makes the job easier. Use aluminum furnace tape to seal seams.

I put the Noico stuff everywhere I could, on the firewall, under the door panels, in the trunk, on the wheelhouses. Kinda went nuts with it, but the car is really quiet now. Doesn’t seem like it sticks all that well at first, but after a few temp cycles, it won’t ever come loose.

As mentioned above, everyone sells the same ACC carpet. Just shop for the lowest price + shipping. I did Stock Interiors the first time, Rock auto the second. Rock autos shipping was cheaper. Splurge and buy the mass backing. Carpet holds its shape much better. I think it is worth the money, having done it both ways.

Don’t by Dynamat. Massively overpriced. There are generic equivalents. I bought Noico from Amazon. Same stuff except way cheaper. Only difference was that the aluminum foil was a little thinner. Buy it in as big of sheets as possible. Makes the job easier. Use aluminum furnace tape to seal seams.

Dynamat seems awful nice but I don't think I can justify $300+ for 36 sq. feet when I want to cover the entire floor, firewall, doors, kickpanels, etc. I'm trying to cut down as much noise and heat in the cab as possible and their prices are just absurd. Will definitely check out noico. thank you

Dynamat seems awful nice but I don't think I can justify $300+ for 36 sq. feet when I want to cover the entire floor, firewall, doors, kickpanels, etc. I'm trying to cut down as much noise and heat in the cab as possible and their prices are just absurd. Will definitely check out noico. thank you

There are other brands too. Just make sure you get the butyl stuff, not the stuff made out of roofing tar.

There are other brands too. Just make sure you get the butyl stuff, not the stuff made out of roofing tar.
You said you put it on the wheelhouses, did you do that in the engine bay and the trunk and is it sitting on top or on the inside? I know some companies make a spray on to coat the inner wheelwells to make it quieter

You said you put it on the wheelhouses, did you do that in the engine bay and the trunk and is it sitting on top or on the inside? I know some companies make a spray on to coat the inner wheelwells to make it quieter

I put it on the inside (Trunk side) of the rear wheelhouses. In a fastback barracuda with the rear pales out you have pretty good access. Did not do anything on the wheel side of the wheelhouses.

I put it on the inside (Trunk side) of the rear wheelhouses. In a fastback barracuda with the rear pales out you have pretty good access. Did not do anything on the wheel side of the wheelhouses.

That makes sense. I was planning on putting some on the rear seat back since I'll be replacing that, as well as the package tray under the cover. Removing any noise at the wheel houses makes sense. Thank you!

The previous owner of my lovely 64 dart allowed the front floor pans to get into bad shape. There were pretty bad water leaks i discovered after buying it, which have now been 99% solved (intermittent one or two drips periodically). I'm planning on buying correct gauge steel, cutting out beyond the bad sections, and patching it. It's no huge spots, by and large its all in good shape, just an inch here and there that he "solved" by riveting sheet metal over.

So I'll remove all of that, weld in new steel, and clean everything up. That's a great opportunity for me, the carpet is in bad shape and could serve to be replaced, but while I'm at it I would like to add sound deadening. There's a whole lot of road noise, especially when I'm on the interstate. But also, I live in the deep south- it's hot down here as is, and a steel box with no a/c jsut absorbs it all.

So my questions are, what's the best sound deadening for this? Dynamat xtreme seems good for weight versus effectiveness, and it claims to also reduce interior temperatures. I would also like to add a layer under the headliner, in the doors, behind the kickpanels (will be adding speakers there), under the dash, and on the firewall. Whatever is going to be best for this is what I want to do. Remove as much exterior sound as possible without being so thick as to make it inconvenient, and if it can keep heat from outside out and make whatever A/C I install later not have to work as hard, that's helpful.

Where's a reliable source for carpet? I know classic industries sells carpet but I've had issues with them in the past for other parts so I'm hesitant to keep shopping with them if there are other reliable suppliers. What's the best method for applying sound deadening in doors and upside down? contact adhesive?

I used KILLMAT on mine. Look through my thread. I did the same to my 64, but with the rear floor pans. I painted mine with a couple of thick coats of Rustoleum and them put KILLMAT on top. It rides so quiet, you cannot even tell it has an engine in it. I don't have to turn the radio up loud to hear it at all and can hear my wife talking to me.....and I'm hard of hearing.

1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

Last edited:
Poke trough the seat belt holes and other bolt holes you will need when you do it. Maybe even leave a bolt in them so you can find them. I didn’t & it is a pain later to have to find all of them.

Poke trough the seat belt holes and other bolt holes you will need when you do it. Maybe even leave a bolt in them so you can find them. I didn’t & it is a pain later to have to find all of them.
I absolutely destroyed the carpet around the holes because of some previous bad installation. Magically the previous owner missed one of the holes (installed at the factory) in the passenger side of the transmission tunnel when he installed lapbelts. So there was just a hole. He cut the holes in the carpet way off so there was a pulled up section. Instead of just putting the hardware outside the carpet with a small hole for the carpet like I've seen others do. bad... just bad.

I used KILLMAT on mine. Look through my thread. I did the same to my 64, but with the rear floor pans. I painted mine with a couple of thick coats of Rustoleum and them put KILLMAT on top. It rides so quiet, you cannot even tell it has an engine in it. I don't have to turn the radio up loud to hear it at all and can hear my wife talking to me.....and I'm hard of hearing.

1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

Yeah after I complete the patches and remove as much rusty areas as possible I was gonna do some rustoleum or similar and coat it a few times top and bottom to make sure I don't need to worry about that again. Local bodyshop owner's kid was using kilmat in his car, should probably look into that.

Some folks use soldering irons to punch holes in the carpet.
Yeah i'd seen that trick in the how-to section. seems to be a pretty solid idea. since it's all synthetic it won't catch fire, just melt around where you need it. I want to get this interior clean and quiet so i feel like I'm making progress. The old carpet is so faded in spots it's insane, it's barely got a hint of red in some parts

Interesting, noticed the Noico and Kilmat websites are nearly identical. After some poking around in their terms and conditions, they're both companies that belong to STP Atlantic LLC.

Kilmat is $1.65/sq. ft and Noico is $1.77/sq. ft according to their identical descriptions of the same material in the same quantity. So probably kilmat it is, since they're identical products produced by the same company. Strange they would sell them at different rates, and kilmate advertises shopping around on their landing page, so they probably operate other, even more budget friendly, sound deadening companies if i had to guess.

Ok- Kilmat and Noico make sound deadening. Similar quality to dynamat at a fraction of the price. However, neither of them produce an actual thermal barrier type of material (like dynapad or dynaliner that exist to keep out other sounds and heat). so I will probably go with kilmat and then install a dynamat thermal barrrier, or something comparable

I would do some more homework before you spend a bunch of money on something like dynapad. Keep in mind that anything with a large thermal mass is not an insulator over a long period of time. Something with a high thermal mass will absorb the heat and store it. Then it radiates it back out.

This means that it may work like an insulator for a period of time, then it becomes a heat source once it stores up all the energy. Heat insulation works by isolating the heat source from what you are trying to protect. Look at a double pane window. It isolates the heat / cold by using a layered approach with air as an insulator.

Sound Insulation is similar. It is often made up of layered materials of different densities so that the sound is reflected back when it hits a material of a higher density.

All of this is hard to to in a car where the floor surface is load bearing and materials that are not very dense crush.

I would do some more homework before you spend a bunch of money on something like dynapad. Keep in mind that anything with a large thermal mass is not an insulator over a long period of time. Something with a high thermal mass will absorb the heat and store it. Then it radiates it back out.

This means that it may work like an insulator for a period of time, then it becomes a heat source once it stores up all the energy. Heat insulation works by isolating the heat source from what you are trying to protect. Look at a double pane window. It isolates the heat / cold by using a layered approach with air as an insulator.

Sound Insulation is similar. It is often made up of layered materials of different densities so that the sound is reflected back when it hits a material of a higher density.

All of this is hard to to in a car where the floor surface is load bearing and materials that are not very dense crush.

Then he can do both sides. I'm seriously considering it. A lot of the magazine builds have done it and reported great success. I drive mine almost everyday and I can tell you from direct experience that it does not radiate heat at all. ....and we live 20 minutes away from the nearest town, so we're in the road when we're in the road. 20 minutes to Gray. 30 minutes to Macon or Milledgeville. We're on the road sometimes an hour before we get to where we are going so it's not like a drive around the block.

I do agree completely with your point.....and maybe on a longer road trip we might experience that...and if we do, I'll be adding another layer to the outside.

Just speaking from my experience with replacing floor pans make sure you inspect it really well. I found a small hole underneath the car about the size of my pinky I thought that's no big deal when I pulled the seats and insulation out I found I had a much bigger problem than I thought it was pretty much rotted from the rear seat to the firewall on the passenger side. Even the places that wasnt rusted thru has enough surface rust and pitting that I didnt have anything to weld too.

-
Back