Source to locate correct distributor numbers per application?

-

SKR8PN

Reaction score
Working on a 1970 Cuda, 426 hemi, automatic. It has a cast iron dual point distributor with an aftermarket tag(rebuilt?) and no other numbers. Somewhere along the line, someone replaced the points with a Pertronix unit that I believe has gone bad. Pertronix can't do anything without the distributor number. What would be the correct part number for the distributor in a 1970 426/auto Cuda?

Last edited:

Factory Parts Books.
dist1.jpg

Alan

I show a '70 model uses a 2875987 for a manual trans, and 2875989 for an automatic. A replacement partial part is one digit higher on both numbers.

I show a '70 model uses a 2875987 for a manual trans, and 2875989 for an automatic. A replacement partial part is one digit higher on both numbers.
Those numbers are for a manual transmission. THe OP is asking about an automatic.

I have a Galen book. It could be wrong. :BangHead: The good thing, the tune up parts and Pertronix parts should be the same.

It's my understanding that Galen was just one of the many people allowed to get anything left in the archives.
I have a copy of his 64-72 castings, which has not been wrong except for 1 possible instance.

Thanks very much for all the info guys! I just purchased a 2875989 distributor off Ebay for the owner of the car. Come to discover, whoever did the Pertronix conversion did NOT change the coil. It should have a .6 ohm coil but it has a 2.0 ohm coil. Tech at Pertronix tells me that is a big no no! Rest of the story is, I have to have this car running before the transport gets here to take it to a restoration shop for some very minor body issues. The proper coil should fix the drive-ability issue for the time being, and I can get the distributor rebuilt and ready to go when it gets back.

-
Back