Speedo pinion gears

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting my speedometer re-connected. I have a chart that indicates a 2538945 to be used for a 4.56 gear w/26" tires.

While looking for that yellow gear on the web, I found several instances of other charts that list the -43 (blue) gear for that combo.

My chart lists the -43 (blue) to be used for a 28" tire with a 4.56 gear.

Which one is closer to 'right?

FTR, I'm running a 4.56 gear with N50-15 MT tires that indeed measure 26.5", manual trans. IIRC the trans came out of a '73 car. I DO know it's the smaller diameter mainshaft 'cuz I had to change the prop shaft when I put the trans in years ago (took out a '69 manual).

Any input would be appreciated..and a source for the gear, too would be great. I haven't found one, yet.

Thanks!

Bumping this for another try.

It's been years ago that I swapped in a different 833. I question the 'smaller mainshaft' idea. Maybe it was a -60/-90 U-joint difference. I do recall I needed a different slip yoke from what the '69 833 had in it.

Also, what is the application differences for a short or long speedo pinion? Is there a year they changed in A bodies?

Anyway, I'm still looking for a 2538945 (according to moparts.org) yellow speedo pinion. Short or long is a question.

Thanks.

Thank you for your input.

While it is likely to be a 'just stupid' price, I did find a NOS 45T long shaft on the bay. Expensive at 1/2 the price...but that's what I need and that's the price.

Sometimes it's just worth it.

Now then...about that Passon A-855....

-
Back