speedometer needle

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
I need some guidance in how to remove the speedometer needle. I want to swap the one from a 120 gauge to my 150 gauge. I can't seem to find any info on the web about this.

I found it when I pulled mine to repaint the fluorescent orange., and it worked just like the article said.

"Hold the bell in the back side of the speedo that the needle moves and gently twist the needle while lifting it off the pin."

"Reverse procedure to reinstall"

I suspected it was just a press on thing, but wanted to be sure before I did it, just like you.

You didn't say what speedometer. In most cases... the tringle like flag opposite the needle center is a counter balance. More of a place for counter balance. Once the needle is removed you will see a dab of white epoxy on the underside of that flag.
Bend the flag, epoxy breaks off, counter balance lost. This happens too easily.
I use a long thin surgical clamp ( forget the name of it ) to grasp the tube beneath the screen and work it off the stem.

You didn't say what speedometer. In most cases... the tringle like flag opposite the needle center is a counter balance. More of a place for counter balance. Once the needle is removed you will see a dab of white epoxy on the underside of that flag.
Bend the flag, epoxy breaks off, counter balance lost. This happens too easily.
I use a long thin surgical clamp ( forget the name of it ) to grasp the tube beneath the screen and work it off the stem.

Hemostats.

-
Back