speedometer question& ignition question

-

lagwagon29

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the site, i have a 70 dart swinger with a slant 6. I have two questions, the first is i took the speedometer cable out back behind the dash, then when i went to plug it back in the bottom tab on the cable where it snaps into the speedometer broke off, so now when i try to plug it back in, it wont stay in. since the tab is broke, does that mean i have to buy a new cable? also lately i have noticed when i start the car the only way the engine will stay running is when i keep pressure on the key, but as soon as i let go the engine dies. is this a bad ignition switch or something else? any help would be appreciated thank you

Welcome to FABO, yes I would replace the cable, on engine not running check the ballast resistor

Hi, Im new to the site, i have a 70 dart swinger with a slant 6. I have two questions, the first is i took the speedometer cable out back behind the dash, then when i went to plug it back in the bottom tab on the cable where it snaps into the speedometer broke off, so now when i try to plug it back in, it wont stay in. since the tab is broke, does that mean i have to buy a new cable?

I'm thinking you'll need a new cable housing - ought to be easy to find.

also lately i have noticed when i start the car the only way the engine will stay running is when i keep pressure on the key, but as soon as i let go the engine dies. is this a bad ignition switch or something else? any help would be appreciated thank you

Sounds like you have a bad ballast resistor.

I had this exact same ignition issue on my 68 Valiant when I first bought it.
It would start fine and run as long as I kept presure on the key (half way between running and starting)
I replaced the ignition,then the resistor, then the coil but nothing changed.
What finally fixed it was putting in a new distributor.
Not sure to this day why but the distributor I took out did have an aftermarket pertronix in it and the new one came with good old fasioned points.

okay thank you for the help. ill try replacing the ballist resistor first to see if that would fix it. If it is the ignition switch shot, how hard is that to fix?

-
Back