Speedometer Trouble

-

ComputerBob

Reaction score
I have a '74 Dart Custom with an A904 trans. My speedometer is shot and the speedo repair guy says it's about a $200 fix. Well, just checking on-line I can get a set of nice looking Marshall gauges for about $350 (speedo + a tach & all the others I'd like to replace my dummy lites & not very informative gauges). However, ALL the new speedometers I found on-line are electronic requiring a "Hall-Effect Sender" unit. Here's the rub, EVERY picture of EVERY sender I can find shows a threaded connection while the connection from my cable to speedometer is a push-on with a side clip.

My question is for anyone with any experience with all this:
Can I get a new speedometer cable for my car that uses the threaded connection?
OR
Can I get a sender with the same connection as my old speedo?
OR
Do you have any other suggestions?

All I want is a functioning speedometer & odometer that will actually work with my car.

You can use your GPS unit for MPH. My car, 74 Duster, didn't have a cigar lighter so I put one in just for my GPS. I'm real old school, I know some of the Techies can tell you how to get an APP for your phone to give you that info.

Google Dorman and check their website for a universal speedometer cable.

I don't know what pics you've looked at but I know the speedometer end of the cable changed from screw on collector nut to a plastic clip in 1968. So yours is correct at that end. As for the trans end of the cable... That may have changed to a clip of some sort but... as far as I know only the size of that collector nut changed over the years.
I don't know of aftermarket instruments that will mount in the OEM panel or behind the OEM bezel so figure that into the total cost. Good luck with it.

-
Back