Spent a hundred bucks today, AND IT RUNS!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
This showed up on the local C/L. Did not feel like it had much compression, but it is complete and turns over, so I paid full price. Not sure of year yet, in the '30's. Evinrude/ Elto "Pal" 1.1 entire HP!!

Pulled tank, sloshed it out with paint thinner, pulled the carb, sprayed it out with carb aerosol, and had to fix the mag (temporarily). The common ground for the neg end of the coil and the primary were unconnected to ground. Cleaned the points, "of course." Condenser, which had been replaced at some point, tests great. Even "came with" a new looking plug

I poured som lacquer thinner into the cylinder and let that soak over lunch, hoping to improve compression. It varies 60-75psi

THERE IS NO throttle as such. There's a sort of ?? vacuum pulse operated piston thing in the carb that appears to work as sort of an automatic throttle, it's a rotary rather than reed valve engine. You control speed with the spark advance. Just one mixture, period. No choke. The carb needle goes all the way from the seat, protrudes up through the top of the carb. You hold that down to open the needle, to "tickle" the carb and basically flood it, dripping, to start

This is not my video, rather I stole off YouTube

My engine, off C/L BRASS!!! PROPELLER!!

00H0H_4Tsij0qV8qJz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00000_gmcKIlPr7orz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_4Sy6FMBlaCmz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

There is no cure!!! Predicted to by 60 ish F Sat-Sun-Mon. I'm hoping to get the "new" boat out on an inaugural run one of those days.

Lost count. There's a number that are for sure junk, or have been junked, and some that are questionable as the the effort to fix them. And the 2x rounds of broken ribs, + stayin out of the back yard all winter (snow and ICE) has put a huge dent in "progress." And of course I'm getting old, and just simply cannot be on my feet or work as hard as I used'ta

Careful! I heard that if you spin those brass props too fast the blades will come off.

I don't exactly remember the history, but Ole Evinrude started the company, and later sold it out, agreed not to use the name. But he kept working towards better designs, and went back into business as "Elto" (Evinrude Light Twin Outboard). Then at some point he merged back into the Evinrude company, and for awhile, the ELTO name lingered on, also as the smaller, "less expensive" of the main Evinrude line.

The irony here is, that this is NOT a twin, but a single

Evinrude and Johnson were not the same engines early on, until after those two merged in the ? late 40's " or so, and eventually, became pretty much the "same engine" as per Dodge/ Plymouth.

I still remember vaguely, "how cute it was." My Dad worked at a local NAPA store, and the owner was a boater, who held the Johnson outboard franchise. My Dad on top of other duties was the Johnson mechanic, tho he worked on about anything that came through the door, Elgin, Scott Atwater, not many Mercs, as there was a Merc dealer in town

He came home one time to show a SMALLER engine than this one which must have been an Elto "Cub." It was rated at 1/2 hp and weighed 8 lbs!!!

-
Back