spitfire headers

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
What ever happened to "spitfire" a-body headers?
Anyone still running them? Anyone ever dynoed an engine with them?Any idea what sort of power they will support.

Harold the guy that designed and built them in the beginning, quit. Laysons produces them now. You can search the site. Many threads and posts about them.

I ran them on a 372 FI Duster around 2000. Car was not a race car but a touring car with 3.55 and a Tremec 5 speed. Ran 13.40's went thru the traps at 100 mph in 3rd. I believe with 4.10 or 4.30 gears I could have hit the 12's. Not the best header,but not bad either.Nothing beats long tube.
Not knowing what car you have,but I installed TTI's shorty headers on my 68 Valiant.Easiest set of headers I ever installed.

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Harold the guy that designed and built them in the beginning, quit. Laysons produces them now. You can search the site. Many threads and posts about them.
This is what the original Spitfires looked like:

spitfires.jpg

Thanks for the input. I guess I should clarify. I ran a set on my last swinger (74) for a couple years before I swapped in the 440.
I saved them and they have been laying in my garage for about a decade.
I'm about to install them on a magnum 5.9 I intend to hop up over the next year or so in a 70 swinger.
I love the way they fit and even though the car came with a set of full length headers Im going to use these just for easy install and clearance.
Im curious who made any actual power with them and how they held up with constant use. I was unaware laysons was still offering this design. Im assuming since these are still in production by laysons they work ok.

They've been on my 66 Cuda since about 2000, and work very well compared to the original exhaust mans!!

Good to see that Laysons is making them. Harold still owes me a set for sending him an early A k frame to work off of. I had one of the original sets... unfortunately I had them installed on a 65 vert that I had to sell.

wow thought only Carroll Shelby was into"TRI -Y's"

Thought these looked nice for shortys, so I checked the Layson’s site. They want $615 per header plain, plus $234 per header for coating, $1698 total...
For headers.
Didn’t bother to see if they charge shipping after I saw those prices.

Thought these looked nice for shortys, so I checked the Layson’s site. They want $615 per header plain, plus $234 per header for coating, $1698 total...
For headers.
Didn’t bother to see if they charge shipping after I saw those prices.

are you sure they’re not $615 for the pair? At one time shortly after taking over the design from Harold, they were $450 from Laysons. I can believe they are more than triple that now, nobody would buy them when Dougs and TTI are less than $1k!

Good thing I learned how to backpedal in the circus!
These prices for the headers & coating may be for the set - can’t really be sure from the website. Guess it would take a phone call to determine. If that’s true they’d be about $850 a set.
I do like the design, still kinda pricey tho.

I have a set of original Harold Johnson Spitfires. What would one recommend to connect the headers to the down pipe. Should I find a collector piece bolt plate to weld onto the base of the pipe? What kind of pipe junction should I be looking for in order to connect the headers to the rest of the system? Thanks!

-
Back