spring relocation inboard help

-

mopower440

Reaction score
1972 dart swinger, A-body 8 3/4 rearend with the small bolt pattern axles, stock drum brakes. I want to run a 275/60/15 tire on the back. What do i need to do to fit this tire? Will the 3/4 " (1/2") offset shackle kit be enough or do i have to do the 3" spring relocation kit? I can NOT roll the fenderlip due to bondo in that area. Im beyond ready to get more tire under the back of this thing.
Thanks!

Keep in mind moving the springs increases body roll. You may/ may not want to investigate rear anit-sway bar, and you should have a front one---if you haul around the street much

Keep in mind moving the springs increases body roll. You may/ may not want to investigate rear anit-sway bar, and you should have a front one---if you haul around the street much
I have a brand new hellwig front swaybar i will be installing this weekend! Should have done it last weekend but got lazy..lol..

Thank you! I read that a long time ago and just read it again. Doesnt look to bad but i am worried about getting it back in there square as im not too great with math and such. I cant weld but i do have a good friend that is a mechanic for a living and can weld very well. Let me ask this though, could i still fit a 275/60/15 back there with ONLY doing the 3/4" offset shackle install?

Thank you! I read that a long time ago and just read it again. Doesnt look to bad but i am worried about getting it back in there square as im not too great with math and such. I cant weld but i do have a good friend that is a mechanic for a living and can weld very well. Let me ask this though, could i still fit a 275/60/15 back there with ONLY doing the 3/4" offset shackle install?
Moving the springs is pretty easy once you get into it, hard to mess it up .
Likely not, you'll prob need these 2 links as well -

MOVING WHEELWELLS 101

Weld In Your Own Frame Connectors

Good luck, lotsa support here !

Thanks Inertia! I thought i read somewhere on here that you could get a 275 in there with just the offset shackle kit, but maybe it was the spring relocation kit only..
I've never tried a 275, with only the spring moved, perhaps someone else can answer that .
Good luck .

I've got 275/60/15's on my 68 Dart. All I did was move the front hanger against the frame and moved the shackle bracket and the spring perches to match. It was about 5/8" on each side. I have not rolled the lips either. It's a tight fit, but nothing rubs. I'm not sure how different the rear wheel tubs are between the 68 and 72 though.

I've got 275/60/15's on my 68 Dart. All I did was move the front hanger against the frame and moved the shackle bracket and the spring perches to match. It was about 5/8" on each side. I have not rolled the lips either. It's a tight fit, but nothing rubs. I'm not sure how different the rear wheel tubs are between the 68 and 72 though.
man i would be tickled if i could do the same as you and get the 275 in there with no rubbing! Maybe someone that know will chime in on if there is any difference between the '68 and '72 wheel tubs..can you post a pic of yours so i can see how it looks?

man i would be tickled if i could do the same as you and get the 275 in there with no rubbing! Maybe someone that know will chime in on if there is any difference between the '68 and '72 wheel tubs..can you post a pic of yours so i can see how it looks?

They are the same.
Having said that, - no 2 cars are really the same on those assembly lines, depending it being a Monday or Friday car. lol

You've just gotta get the backspacing dead nuts and measure everything a couple times. Don't assume both sides are the same either. They're likely not. Not the greatest pictures of my pile, but you get the idea. And an older video for good measure.

upload_2021-1-25_19-20-43.png

upload_2021-1-25_19-20-31.png

My 72 swinger with 265/50/15 rubbed before my front sway bar. I have a 3/4 offset mount and shackle kit too.

Enough squat or body lean, and my tires still rub just slightly.

Rear rims are 15x8 with 4.25 backspace on an a body 8.25" with drums (56.75 wms to wms).

You've just gotta get the backspacing dead nuts and measure everything a couple times. Don't assume both sides are the same either. They're likely not. Not the greatest pictures of my pile, but you get the idea. And an older video for good measure.

View attachment 1715677651

View attachment 1715677650

It's dang sure a pile too. What a piece that thing is! lol Man I love it. I absolutely love the sedans. They look super cool.

You are not really running 4" pattern axles with an 8-10 " wheel are you ?? Where did you even find the rims..
Too many questions that pop up never mind.

It's dang sure a pile too. What a piece that thing is! lol Man I love it. I absolutely love the sedans. They look super cool.

Thanks sir. I tend to like things that are a little different - sedans included. I guess that's why I like the early A's the most too.

Don't know if it helps - my 73 Sport has the 1/2 inch relocation kit. I got 17x8 wheels with 255-45 tires in there. 4.25 backspace and plenty of room.

I have done several Dusters with P275 / 60R 15 on a 8" rim w/4-1/2 backspacing. Standard width drum brake 8-3/4 diff with Dr Diff (1/2") offset spring hangers and offset shackles. space the front hanger rearward 1/8", no trimming of inner lip because the inner fender sticks in further inward than the lip.

Last edited:
I have done several Dusters with P275 / 60R 15 on a 9" ers and offset shfront hanger rearward 1/8", no trimming of inner lip because the inner fender sticks in further inward than the lip.
I have done several Dusters with P275 / 60R 15 on a 9" rim w/ 5" backspacing or 8" rim w/4-1/2 backspacing. Standard width drum brake 8-3/4 diff with Dr Diff (1/2") offset spring hangers and offset shackles. space the front hanger rearward 1/8", no trimming of inner lip because the inner fender sticks in further inward than the lip.
Ok where did you find 9 inch wheels with that offset?

Last edited:
My 72 swinger with 265/50/15 rubbed before my front sway bar. I have a 3/4 offset mount and shackle kit too.

Enough squat or body lean, and my tires still rub just slightly.Where do they rub im looking at running the same size only 4.5 backspace

Rear rims are 15x8 with 4.25 backspace on an a body 8.25" with drums (56.75 wms to wms).

Enough squat or body lean, and my tires still rub just slightly.

Where do they rub I'm looking to run that size only 4.5 backspace

-
Back