Squeaking Sound Coming from 225 /6

-
There is plenty of locations to check play, the main one is the idler arm. If that bushing is bad, the idler will move up and down, taking some of the left/right motion with it causing a 'play' condition. Get that replaced and also check the steering box mount. Get eyes on the steering box and turn the wheel. The box should not move AT ALL. I cracked my steering mount on the K and about lost the car on the road. While your under there look at the idler arm, it should only move left and right, no up/down movement, as well as the tie rod ends, should be nice and firm on the spindles. Last thing to check is the gear itself. There is a small adjuster nut on top of steering box. Center steering wheel and loosen lock nut and give the adjuster a 1/4 turn to the right. see if there is any play reduction. I had my friend wiggle steering wheel while I did this and I got a half turn out of that adjuster. Seemed to take some play out of the steering.

Going through the previous owner’s records, I can’t find anything about them ever having any steering components replaced/repaired, so I fully expect something is not in great shape. Other bushings on the car are in terrible shape. I found a new idler arm from rock auto so I’ll probably go ahead and get one and check for play and then replace it. The box does not move around when I turn the steering shaft.

-
Back