squeaky belt(s)

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
73 dart 360 with air. on slight accel it squeals. might this be too loose or too tight and or would belt dressing be a good plan or just replace em? thank you for your time. RR

73 dart 360 with air. on slight accel it squeals. might this be too loose or too tight and or would belt dressing be a good plan or just replace em? thank you for your time. RR
Yes, they could be too loose. They need to have about 1/2" deflection. If they're tight enough and still squeal, replace 'em (with GOOD belts- cheapos can squeal when brand new...). Belt dressing is just a temporary band-aid.

Professor when I get out there I will see if anything seems wonky and I will ask for their best ones. RR
“Their best ones?” Most parts store “best ones” are top of the line garbage. Napa or gates belts have been my go to. Car quest is second. But since car quest got bought out by Advanced auto- they suck too now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Also, sitting is the worst thing for a belt, they take that shape, dry out. Pulleys out of alignment or worn - it’s all like pushing back the tide it feels like.

“Their best ones?” Most parts store “best ones” are top of the line garbage. Napa or gates belts have been my go to. Car quest is second. But since car quest got bought out by Advanced auto- they suck too now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Also, sitting is the worst thing for a belt, they take that shape, dry out. Pulleys out of alignment or worn - it’s all like pushing back the tide it feels like.

the fan belt on my 505 has started squeaking really bad on start up , its tite , has not too many miles on it , the pulleys are lined up perfectly , but its about 12ish yrs . old , but still looks and feels new , gonna dress it ...

-
Back