stainless steel headers

-

BabyBee1

Reaction score
anybody know where I can get a set of stainless steel headers for a 72 Dart Swinger with a small Block?
no luck on Summit or Jegs

I may very well be mistaken, but to the best of my knowledge they don't make any stainless headers that FIT A bodies

In fact, the only ones that fit are Doug's or TTIs

And those can come coated, but not stainless

Helped a friend install a set of those on a 73 dart . Stay far away

Look like the standard small block header that's been around for fifty years and runs under the steering link. They hang low, but are better than the cast iron manifolds. $350 delivered seems like a pretty good deal if they truly are some form of SS. It says 304SS but I'm sure that I could even buy the raw material to make a set for that much. I couldn't find the same spec but a similar size and thickness is $50 for three feet (typical primary length) of straight tube. That's $400 just for the the straight tube to do the primary, forget the flanges, collectors, Tube bender, welder, etc.. They may be trash but if I was going to put a set of that style in, I'd give them a try.

They hit everywhere , would not clear the steering coupler , idler arm , pitman arm , and the stainless is near impossible to ding for clearance. These were the DNA brand which I believe are the same as the current ebay ones.

Engine placement is critical. Every header I have ever installed in an A body benefitted from having the engine set back to the maximum amount possible using factory mounts. This even holds true for the stepped TTI's in my 383 4 speed GTS. Clutch linkage, steering, steering box, and a few other clearance issues were mitigated by sliding the engine/transmission back about 5/8". I was amazed how much bettet things looked after that.

-
Back