Stalling/loss of power after getting after it.

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
Took the kids to an ice cream joint the next town over tonight. When we left I got after it, short shifting into second and coasted. It died. I popped it into neutral and cranked for probably 15-20 seconds (turned onto a side road while still coasting) before it started. Gave it a quick look and everything seemed ok.

Half way home there is a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Set the line lock for a short little burnout. Ran out of fuel again and had to pedal it to keep it running.

Got it home and the only thing I noticed is the fuel gauge attached to the carb line would wonder from 3-6psi. Never done that before but not the most trust worthy gauge.

I had plans to move the fuel filter anyways but wondering if there are some things to look into before I start changing things.

1969 Dart. 360 tank, 3/8 sender, 3/8 line to pump, carter high flow, Holley 750 mechanical.

Haven’t really done anything with the fuel system in a long time. Has ran awesome.

Can’t work on the car so here I am typing away.

Clogged fuel filter/Fuel filter hoses collapsing
Bad pump
Shitty gas
Clogged fuel tank vent
Crap in the carb

580A7F3A-52E7-45FD-BD27-56775F29FE77.jpeg

25104906-0116-4DD9-AE46-7C5431A7A584.jpeg

The float bowls are running empty. Lack of fuel flow, probably dirt in filter or in regulator.

My dart stock 273, does the same thing when it is hot out, 80s up and engine is at temp.

Im not too good with carburetor wizardry, but to me it sounds like its running out of fuel.(well no ****)
Anyway, in california at least I have heard of carburetors just clog and the metal turn into a weird oxidized mush on the inside because of the high ethanol/alcohol content in the gas. (especially if it sits for long periods of time w/ fuel in the bowls) Maybe some of the passages are just full of crap and not getting the right amount of fuel into the engine. If not, I would look for the same stuff in the fuel pump, filter, lines, etc. Just clean everything out and make sure its clean. if there is nothing, its something else out of my range of knowledge.

Last edited:
I would move the in-line filter to the pressure side of the fuel pump, not on the suction/gravity fed side... It has more affect on fuel flow on the suction side than on the pressure side...

Took the kids to an ice cream joint the next town over tonight. When we left I got after it, short shifting into second and coasted. It died. I popped it into neutral and cranked for probably 15-20 seconds (turned onto a side road while still coasting) before it started. Gave it a quick look and everything seemed ok.

Half way home there is a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Set the line lock for a short little burnout. Ran out of fuel again and had to pedal it to keep it running.

Got it home and the only thing I noticed is the fuel gauge attached to the carb line would wonder from 3-6psi. Never done that before but not the most trust worthy gauge.

I had plans to move the fuel filter anyways but wondering if there are some things to look into before I start changing things.

1969 Dart. 360 tank, 3/8 sender, 3/8 line to pump, carter high flow, Holley 750 mechanical.

Haven’t really done anything with the fuel system in a long time. Has ran awesome.

Can’t work on the car so here I am typing away.

Clogged fuel filter/Fuel filter hoses collapsing
Bad pump
Shitty gas
Clogged fuel tank vent
Crap in the carb

View attachment 1715719144

View attachment 1715719145

I think you kinda covered it all in your last little paragraph.

Those Holley regulators can go bat Crap crazy. It’s a bit difficult to monitor fuel pressure without a gauge in the car or a data logger to record it.

Those Holley regulators can go bat Crap crazy. It’s a bit difficult to monitor fuel pressure without a gauge in the car or a data logger to record it.

I'd ditch it completely if I new the carter high flow wouldn't over power the needle and seat in the holley 750dp. (might be worth testing)
dart%204.jpg

1480905312_zpsxuunaawc-jpg.jpg

1460393700_zpsnxyqunec.jpg

Forgot to look at the fittings on the fuel pump before I left home. Ordering parts to ditch the braided line. Thinking its 1/4npt going into the pump. (hard to tell from the pictures I can find)

Last edited:
I had a similar issue in the past using a Jeg's fuel regulator that looks just like yours. The gauge would read 6 psi but after driving the car around for awhile and getting it hot in traffic it would start to run rough, every time i would check the gauge and it would be at like 3 psi. I ultimately just removed the regulator entirely and it solved the issue.

For ***** and giggles, TEMPORARILY put a clear filter after your regulator but before your carb.

Look for the fuel level in the filter to go to almost nothing when it is at 3psi, then refill and return to 5

Actually, this sounds just like the problem the rotsun had in that new episode of roadkill. Same symptoms, and it was the fuel pressure regulator drawing too much fuel from the pump and the pump not beig able to keep up.

C211D970-C2A4-4C8B-B638-DB468E417608.jpeg
F418603D-00F0-4859-9BE0-2B899AB7F2D3.jpeg
AE9DBD71-CE5A-4C5D-9C1C-12EEEFE41A70.jpeg
7C943D27-A885-4093-94B4-95A24E974B9B.jpeg
E9CFF93D-88CE-4823-9173-B8F0D1C8B4F4.jpeg
335812FA-CB0A-44A0-A470-C0F88F1C77AA.jpeg

Moved the fuel filter. (Old one wasn’t plugged) replaced it with fuel injection hose/clamps. Made a new line up from the pump. Ditched the fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Used an old chrome dual feed setup I had laying around. Thinking I’m going to make my own dual feed lines with a T fitting.

No leaks. Fuel isn’t dripping from the boosters so the carter high flow isn’t over powering the needle and seat.
Weather won’t allow a test drive.

Gave it a 10 mile assault tonight. So far so good. Thinking it had to be the regulator. Fingers crossed it’s fixed for good.

-
Back