starter heat soaked

-

rapid67rt

Reaction score
Just thought I would pic some brains here. I have a 68 dart, 383 stroker,auto. It has a mini starter on it now (previous owner) not sure what brand. Starts just fine when cool but when it gets hot no luck. Soon as it cools down starts just fine. Has headman headers and I feel more than enough distance from starter. This is my second BB dart and the other had the same problem. I'm planning on replacing the starter. Any input an a replacement? Maybe something else is going on?

Worn armature bushings can cause similar symptons, the bushings wear enuff that the armature actually drags on the field magnets,, and when hot, and everythings expanded,,, - REALLY drag..

my .02 . cheers

Worn armature bushings can cause similar symptons, the bushings wear enuff that the armature actually drags on the field magnets,, and when hot, and everythings expanded,,, - REALLY drag..

my .02 . cheers

Yep ^

A mini starter should have bearings on the armature. Is there room to fab up a heat shield? I would get a real mopar/nippondenso starter. The Chinese repros are not nearly as good quality. Could even get one from a junkyard and it would be fine. The only thing I have seen fail on one is the contacts in the solenoid and they are easily replaced.

-
Back