starter hits b&m flexplate on 360/904 combo

-

69mopar

Reaction score
i dropped a 79 360 into my 69 barracuda with a 904 trans.... when i crank the starter over it hits my b&m flexplat... any ideas on how to fix?

I will say that mine sounded like it was going to grind the torque converter ring gear out before I realized the battery was so bad that it wouldn't engage completely. It would still spin the starter which gave a nice clashing sound. A new and charged battery made a world of difference.

i think its the correct one it bolted up no problem just seems to be a 1/4 to be in diameter.... could i just switch to a mini starter?

I will say that mine sounded like it was going to grind the torque converter ring gear out before I realized the battery was so bad that it wouldn't engage completely. It would still spin the starter which gave a nice clashing sound. A new and charged battery made a world of difference.

i know the battery is good.. i removed the dust plate from the trans and watched the bearing on the starter shaft hit the flex plate.. the gear on the starter clears it

I just had the same problem. The motor I put in my car had a SB 727. I am using a 999. I was able to marry the trans and engine and bolt the flex plate no problem. Once I put in the factory starter I found that the bearing backing the drive gear was hitting the flex plate by about 1/8". I went to my local auto part shop and compared a stock 727 and 904 flex plate and then I found out the 904 is about 3/4" smaller in diameter. I am to lazy to drop the trans so I bought a starter for a 98 Dakota. The Dakota starter is a mini starter and more importantly it has no bearing behind the drive gear. The back of the drive gear is webbed, so the drive gear stops itself from over throwing the converter. Hope this helps

I just had the same problem. The motor I put in my car had a SB 727. I am using a 999. I was able to marry the trans and engine and bolt the flex plate no problem. Once I put in the factory starter I found that the bearing backing the drive gear was hitting the flex plate by about 1/8". I went to my local auto part shop and compared a stock 727 and 904 flex plate and then I found out the 904 is about 3/4" smaller in diameter. I am to lazy to drop the trans so I bought a starter for a 98 Dakota. The Dakota starter is a mini starter and more importantly it has no bearing behind the drive gear. The back of the drive gear is webbed, so the drive gear stops itself from over throwing the converter. Hope this helps

thats helps alot thanks... i was gonna go buy a mini but ill look into the dakota

The starter will have a small bracket that bolts on the battery post and relay post. If you take that bracket off make sure your relay post is secured by itself. On the one I got the bracket used the battery post to secure the relay post. I didn't know that so I took it off. When I tried to bolt the starter relay wire the post twisted so that the wire inside the starter broke I had to take the starter out and sodder the wire back on. Honestly it was easier to hook up with the bracket on. I am just trying to save you some frustration.

Hey hardcore5657. I interested in that mini starter. pm and let me know

The starter will have a small bracket that bolts on the battery post and relay post. If you take that bracket off make sure your relay post is secured by itself. On the one I got the bracket used the battery post to secure the relay post. I didn't know that so I took it off. When I tried to bolt the starter relay wire the post twisted so that the wire inside the starter broke I had to take the starter out and sodder the wire back on. Honestly it was easier to hook up with the bracket on. I am just trying to save you some frustration.

ok cool thanks for the heads up

wait up..dont the old monster starter have a snout that fits into the back of the trans? Your saying that the flex plate was hanging far enough over the bolt holes to hit the starter?
DSC00942.jpg
images

I am using the same flex plate that is on the motor in your picture. For the 904 I had to use the inside bolt holes for torque converter. So yes. That flex plate was just a little to big to allow the starter to engage the converter. The starter bolted up fine. The problem was the bearing behind the gear drive was just a little to big to let the starter engage fully. The gear drive passed the flex plate just fine.

-
Back