starting facing downhill

-

blue67cuda

Reaction score
hi everyone
my 67 cuda will not start when i pull it out of my garage on to a slight decline.
i think it is flooding out,however i checked the float level on my edelbrock carb and it is good.
does anyone have any other suggestions?
thanks,Tom

Why won't it start? Have you made any electrical tests? Does it crank over? We need more info. Will it start on the flat? You only need two things for a motor to run- fuel and spark.

hi murray,
thanks for replying. the cuda will start fine in my garage(level), i pull it out in to my driveway(sloped) and shut it off. if i try to start it again it will crank,but not start. i believe it is flooded, but i checked my float level on my carb and it is fine. if it sits and i jack the front end to level the car out it starts. so far i have checked the floats on the carb, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the spark plugs. i was wondering what else i should try, any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks,
tom

In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine the incline has anything to do with your;" cranks but won't start" issue!

The Proof? Block the choke open, then just dribble a teaspoon off pure gas into the intake. Right away, push the gas-pedal down a bit and hold it there, then hit the key. It should fire right up. When it does, and stays running, you can lift off the gaspedal.

a slight incline will not cause flooding. when u jack it level and it starts, any black smoke? are u low on fuel in the tank? try it facing uphill!

thanks for the suggestions guys!
the only reason i mention the fact that the car is not level is because that is the only thing different from when i start the car in the garage with no problem, as opposed to in my driveway.
it does have a full tank of fresh gas, and it started at the gas station(again)a level surface. no black smoke when i start it.
i appreciate the info, and will try your suggestions tomorrow.
happy hour has started for me today!

You only need two things for a motor to run- fuel and spark.
I get ya, and not to nit-pick but just incase somebody else reads this you need air/fuel mixture to be somewhat ballpark correct, timing (be somewhat close on both ignition and valve), and compression to go along with your spark/gas. I know it's not the OP's issue, and I don't know what it would be other than what's already being suggested.

Last edited:
i pull it out in to my driveway(sloped) and shut it off. if i try to start it again it will crank,but not start.
It ran on the slope, until you shut it off right? What does that tell you?
To me it says you simply have a starting issue after the choke comes off. The slope would never even have crossed my mind.

well then if it is run on level ground until the choke comes off, then shut off - will it restart?

Many years ago my father had a '60 Chevy Bel-Air with a straight six. It developed a weird habit of dying when going around right hand turns only... we scratched our heads a lot until one day it died and wouldn't restart at all. The problem was plain to see - the wire from the coil to the distributor had frayed and finally broken.
Once the wire was fixed (and secured so it didn't rub through again), it never missed a beat until the body rusted away... maybe something similar is causing your no-start?

-
Back