starting problem 65 polara

-

moparkid340

Reaction score
hey guys i havnt ben on here in a wile but i just found 65 dodge polara thats ben sitting 6 years i got a good deal on it broght it home cleaned it up and cant beleave how clean the car was under all the dirt and dust, it was a 1 owner car with 91k miles, solad as a rock, 383 car,. i was told it ran when parked and was drivin every day, it was parked bc of power steering pump went out and the owner passed away so it sat till i found it, and now for my problem, the ign swith? i put a new battrey in at and replaced the old corroted ground cabel with a new one grounded to the head, i can get the car to turn over by arcing the little box up on the fender well but i cant get the car to turn over bye the switch, i cant get the light to come on or anything, im stumped, any advise out their?
Gary

Well, you know the starter works and the battery is good. Sounds like you should be looking at connections on the ignition switch- do you find 12 volts on the right contacts at the switch? If not, trace the wires back and find the break.

Good luck- that car sounds like a real find!

First, is this an automatic or stick? If it's an automatic, it's much more likely you have a neutral safety switch issue than ignition switch.

Check the relay, auto will have one big stud, a "square" exposed terminal, and two "push on" terminals.

The starter "signal" from the igniiton switch is normally yellow. Using a test lamp, probe the one or two push on connectors for voltage WHEN YOU twist the key to start.

IF you have voltage there, it's not the switch.

IF you don't have an automatic, and you DO have voltage at the "push on" connector, you have a bad starter relay.

If you have an automatic, and you DO have voltage "at the yellow" push on connector, unhook the OTHER one and clip it to ground. MAKE SURE the auto is in park, and it should crank. This bypasses the nss.

IF YOU DO NOT have voltage at the yellow "push on" connector, IT MAY be the bulkhead connector instead of the switch.

At this time, probably easiest to go ahead and pull the switch, use your test lamp to probe the yellow coming off the back of the switch. Once again, twist to "start" the yellow should be hot.

It would pay, I believe, to pull the bulkhead connector off and clean it, as well as the connectors on the headlight switch and ignition switch.

im stumped.
i put a new starter relay on the car and still nuthing, the only think that works on the car is the horn,
it also might help to tell you that when i brought the car home after i put a new battrey and ground on it, the headlights and intior lights worked, but i didnt have a key to the car then, every thing went dead when i put a new key tumbeler in the car so i would have a key for it, thats when everything wh=ent dead, im stumped please help.
also im not very good with elc parts names so any photos or discribinin of what im looking for would help alot
it would be greatley praised,
o and the car is a auto

OK, so do some troubleshooting!!!!!!!!!! You have a diagram? Download one over at "My Mopar" or go find the service manual thread. There's a 66 FSM you can download, also over at "My Mopar."

You say "only the horn works?" Is that right? No headlights? This is not an ignition switch problem, you are not getting power through the bulkhead connector to the ammeter circuit which feeds the ignition, I' guess.

(The horn circuit gets it's power off the starter relay stud, and goes through no fuses)

On your car, the two large wires feeding power into the ammeter circuit from the fuse link are SEPARATE from the bulkhead connector. Make sure those are getting power, you may have a bad fuse link. Look at diagram "B" find the large thick black coming up off the starter relay marked "fuseable link" that goes to the two connectors over to the left and off the page The other wire beside it, notice is coming off the alternator down at the bottom of the page.

BOTH THESE should be hot, before any power gets "anywhere else" in the car.

So is the big stud on the alternator hot? Check with a light or meter.

Don't start throwing parts at the problem. Replacing the starter relay comes under this category. You picked out a part and "threw it at the car." You can waste a LOT of money AND time with that.

65 wiring diagram in two parts:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65PolaraMonacoA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65PolaraMonacoB.JPG

'66 service manual:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

ur a smart man 67dart273 it was the fuseable link i did my tracing and get her fixed right up. now i got to takel the no fire problem, going to start off with the points and work my way to the plugs i want to replace everything anyway bc the car sat for 6 years
thank you Very much for your help and taking the time out of your day to respond!!!

Hey, cool. post back if you have further. These are easy once you figure out the little quirks.

-
Back