Stealth head install.

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Just got the Stealth heads on and got it fired up. Left the timing and carbs alone. She wouldn’t idle, So I adjusted the idle speed up and fattened her up a smidge. She’s sounding real good. I’ll put another heat cycle on it then re-torque the heads. Wasn’t expecting to have to play with the carbs, guess there is more flow than I thought. Looking forward to getting her out on the road!

IMG_9051.jpeg

A ported (stage 2) set of 452's with big valves were 30 cfm down on a stock set of OOTB stealths. With minor clean up the seem to work pretty good aside from a a few application specific annoyances.

I wish like hell they weren't cast in China. That's a roadblock for me.

And I'm STILL thinking about buying a set.

Been running Stealth heads for 8 years now with no issues, but I'm just a street cruiser, but I've had them up to 6000 rpm quite a few times.

I totally agree about the China thing. But these fully CNC ported Stealth heads will be just the ticket for my sleeper one day. I'm going to paint them to match the engine and everything. :icon_fU:

I don't remember if I already said this but China is a necessary evil for some of this stuff, thanks to regulations. As long as an American machinist touches it, makes sure it's good, then in my opinion it's fine, I would rather everything be made here in the states but that's asking a lot lol.

Just got the Stealth heads on and got it fired up. Left the timing and carbs alone. She wouldn’t idle, So I adjusted the idle speed up and fattened her up a smidge. She’s sounding real good. I’ll put another heat cycle on it then re-torque the heads. Wasn’t expecting to have to play with the carbs, guess there is more flow than I thought. Looking forward to getting her out on the road!

View attachment 1716170393
That's looking nice!

I don't remember if I already said this but China is a necessary evil for some of this stuff, thanks to regulations. As long as an American machinist touches it, makes sure it's good, then in my opinion it's fine, I would rather everything be made here in the states but that's asking a lot lol.

I do trust it more after it's been through experienced American hands, but I've also seen Chinesium castings with rocks and bolts in 'em.

And I don't like sending my declared enemies money to attack me with.

I do trust it more after it's been through experienced American hands, but I've also seen Chinesium castings with rocks and bolts in 'em.

And I don't like sending my declared enemies money to attack me with.
I've been hit on the face with big chunks of aluminum from compressed air drying heads too and they were brand new Edelbrock e-street heads. Same with $200.00 sbc Chinese castings but honestly for the money I was expecting total ****, nope they were a really decently cast and machined head. ( The SBC China heads)

Last edited:

View attachment 1716170393
Did you get the CNC ported set or the as-cast heads? That's amazing that you had to richen up the carbs and everything because they have so much more flow than stock. The guy I bought my car from told me he spent almost $1000 on the stock heads. I wish he had put that money towards a set of 440 Source aluminum heads but oh well, nothing can be perfect, right?

Did you get the CNC ported set or the as-cast heads? That's amazing that you had to richen up the carbs and everything because they have so much more flow than stock. The guy I bought my car from told me he spent almost $1000 on the stock heads. I wish he had put that money towards a set of 440 Source aluminum heads but oh well, nothing can be perfect, right?
They’re the as cast heads.

I will get roasted for this opinion, but...

China heads, like other china stuff like intakes etc, i don't think they are taking away from the real mccoy at all.

What I mean by that is before say 20 years ago one guy would have AFR or Eddie aluminum heads and everyone else had iron heads with various amounts of work done but still terrible for the most part depending on what iron heads (and what brand, chebbie, ferd or Mopar)

Now, those same people are still opting for the real deal, as did i with the E street aluminum heads, while still needed some going over, no issues with crappy parts. Then of course there are the higher end guys with nice TFS and AFR heads etc..

The iron head guys are now switching to stealth for Mopar, ebay/dna/various for SBC and SBF and so on and so forth.

The price of the lower end of the American heads have been forced down a bit for sure with the china copies, and the guys that used to work on the iron heads are fading which is unfortunate, but I truly believe that China stuff has made go fast stuff more affordable for the masses and has no effect on the higher end guys that want quality (I am not higher end, hence the E street lol)

Same to be said about aluminum intakes and other stuff.

Of course as everyone else says stay away from lifters and rockers and other crap that can grenade an engine.

With the exception of procomp/speedmaster, nearly all of the china castings are very good for all companies engines as they are almost direct copies of good existing heads. The procomp heads are absolute garbage, terrible flow, wacky port sizing, offset rockers needed in most cases etc.

Roast away :)

-
Back