Stealth heads vs Eddy performer rpm

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm trying to hunt down parts for my 440 build but I'm hung up on heads. I had planned on getting the stealth heads from 440 source but was told to not waste my time and go with eddy's. I don't doubt that the rpm heds are better. But they also cost almost twice as much. How much more power will I get out of the $1500 rpm heads over the $900 stealth heads?

Both heads have very, very similar performance potential. Both heads need some work (IMO anyway) before bolting them on. This includes a valve job and sizing of the guides. The Edelbrock heads can use any head gasket and the springs need to be replaced on many builds because they are not that strong, but the retainers and locks are good with better springs. Where the Stealths need to run one type of gasket, and the retaners and locks should be upgraded with the springs.

so would I be better off just buying bare heads and building them myself?
I had the Stealths...don't do it...he forgot to mention that I told everyone to mill .010-.030 off of the bottom of the heads because they are not flat...they don't have a good straight edge in china...others had had broken valve guides...you have to **** can their springs, lock and retainers and go with double springs, 10 degree locks and retainers...save up for the eddys and you won't be disappointed...I was able to take the eddys out of the box..change the springs, retainers and locks with 10 degree ones...7 and 10 degrees are totally different...I checked mine with a good straight edge and bolted them right on with no...no...no..problems....both could use some street porting or CNC porting...the eddys come with 84 cc combustion chamber and the Stealths come with a 80 cc combustion chamber, those are the major differences..

From what i was told the 440 source heads are a copycat of the Edelbrocks but made in CHINA,and not as good what else is new...

Is there anyone on this site who has a set, run them, and really knows what they are talking about?

There is always someone whos had bad luck with a product.

So I've used RPMs and Indy, and Bremeric has used Stealths and RPMs. What have you used other than a bitter keyboard?
If someone considered them ready to run literally out of the box and you don't exceed the recommended performance envelope with them, then they will be cheaper than the RPMs out of the box by I think $800 IIRC(something like $900ish vs. $1800ish?). If you're like me, and believe "out of the box" can be improved and want to take that step, then the Stealths will end up being about $300 less than similarly prepped RPMs.

So I've used RPMs and Indy, and Bremeric has used Stealths and RPMs. What have you used other than a bitter keyboard?
If someone considered them ready to run literally out of the box and you don't exceed the recommended performance envelope with them, then they will be cheaper than the RPMs out of the box by I think $800 IIRC(something like $900ish vs. $1800ish?). If you're like me, and believe "out of the box" can be improved and want to take that step, then the Stealths will end up being about $300 less than similarly prepped RPMs.

I actually agreed with your previous statement and that wasn't even directed at you, glad to see your poop throwing hand ready though..:munky2:

I Just don't buy the other posters experience to be the final word based on what I have read in his thread.:read2:

JMO

There is a post on BBD about them, at least I think they were the stealth heads, but I can not find it. Guy was having a ton of troubles, looked like it was mostly the machinist, but he ended up dropping a valve, and from what I remember it was from the keepers being the wrong size for the valves that were supplied with the heads....

There is a post on BBD about them, at least I think they were the stealth heads, but I can not find it. Guy was having a ton of troubles, looked like it was mostly the machinist, but he ended up dropping a valve, and from what I remember it was from the keepers being the wrong size for the valves that were supplied with the heads....
Yep he is a friend on mine on BBD and it was his fault....the Stealth valve stems are 11/32" and he put on the wrong size retainers and locks and shot a valve into a piston...he sourced the retainers and locks from someone else than 440 Source...they specifically state theirs are 11/32"...others have reported cracks in them...others reported they lost one of the freeze plugs and I remember two of them reporting broken valve guides

From what i was told the 440 source heads are a copycat of the Edelbrocks but made in CHINA,and not as good what else is new...
Not true....One of the 440 Source engineers designed them and they look more like stock iron heads...eddys are totally different..8)

Not true....One of the 440 Source engineers designed them and they look more like stock iron heads...eddys are totally different..8)

Well thats what i was told by the big block guys..i only deal with small blocks...

I've heard of people haveing great luck with them and bad luck with them. For $900 a set they are an option that didnt use to be there. I will be spending the money on a set of stealths. I dont think anything is truely ready OOTB.

That is very much true Scott. However I dont think that 440 Source would continue to sell them if they were all junk and getting returned.

its the ports that are a copy of eddy heads not the outside look to the head. i hear they run a eddy program on the source heads to open them up..

its the ports that are a copy of eddy heads not the outside look to the head. i hear they run a eddy program on the source heads to open them up..

That makes sense since they flow close to the same. I'm sure there are problems with the eddies that we dont hear about same as the 440 source heads. I can buy the same part and Joe Schmoo and get a different result.

I'm trying to hunt down parts for my 440 build but I'm hung up on heads. I had planned on getting the stealth heads from 440 source but was told to not waste my time and go with eddy's. I don't doubt that the rpm heds are better. But they also cost almost twice as much. How much more power will I get out of the $1500 rpm heads over the $900 stealth heads?
Sorry that this thread has gotten out of hand...my last remark is going to sound old school...but I shared my experience with both heads to the best of my knowledge....Quote from my own lips "You get what you pay for" and I would have bought the Indy heads if my budget could have afforded them...JMT 8)

I know D & L put together a 500 inch pump gas engine with stealths last week and it was putting out around 650 hp. They were not out of the box though...

I actually agreed with your previous statement and that wasn't even directed at you, glad to see your poop throwing hand ready though..:munky2:

I Just don't buy the other posters experience to be the final word based on what I have read in his thread.:read2:

JMO

Thanks for clarifying. My apologies.

-
Back