stealth heads vs edelbrock heads

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
i know i posted something a while back but now i cant find it :/
so whats the pros and cons about the two heads? i been here people are buying the edelbrocks and having to send them to machine shop to be fixed and never really hear or see anyone using the stealth heads. I am looking for a 500hp street motor.

Either head will work for a 500hp goal.

I'd send both out to be corrected before running them. A basic 440 build, 10:1, xe275hl, rpm intake, 750-950 holley will make in the 470hp range. A little more camshaft and some port clean up and it's at 500hp.

so are they comparable quality wise? I know you always pay more for the brand name....

You pay for the engineering, development, startup costs, patents, and components. At least if you're Edelbrock. 440 Source gets paid for reengineering, reduced startup costs, and reduced cost components. But suffer from poor assembly line type assembly labor. Source also suffers from crappy valve springs, locks, and retainers. IMO, I like the Source straight plugs for exh manifolds and the stock look. But in terms of performance and personal choice, I'd rather have the RPMs or Easy Streets. they are about $200 more per head than the Stealth.

I have recently received three sets of 440 Source Stealth heads. They are now prepping the intake ports as does Edelbrock with the RPM heads, all be it a little more crudely. In the past when I flowed Stealth heads they went

.500.............255 cfm
.600.............267 cfm
.700.............268 cfm

and are now flowing OOTB

.500.............270 cfm
.600.............283 cfm
.700.............290 cfm

Easily enough to produce 500 HP if the engine is prepared properly.

The lower lifts remained the same, but the Stealth heads are now EQUAL in flow, OOTB, to the RPM heads, whereas in years past they were not.

The retainers appear to be of better quality, the locks are still digging into the valve stems and raising sharp edges that will score the bronze guides if the sharp points are not filed off prior to removing the valves.

the locks are still digging into the valve stems and raising sharp edges that will score the bronze guides if the sharp points are not filed off prior to removing the valves.

That's disconcerting.

My Stealths are 2 yrs old I had them conservatively hand porter, a serdi
Valve jobdone and flow benched. Before the vj the low lift numbers
Weren't very good. ( I don't have the sheet here) but improved
Dramatically after! End result was really good 400 number,290ish at 500
And 304 at 600. Exh was in the 200 range over 500. Not the
Best heads out there but I'm happy. In hindsight. I would have put a
Few more bucks with this investment and get the cnc version

You might call them to inquire.

I believe Jeff at Modern Cylinder in Michigan was doing the CNC work for source. You could always send a set off to him and have them done.

I talked to Kim at 440 Source about the CNC ported heads last week, Modern is still doing them but won't have any available until around the beginning of the year

my dad has the cnc'd stealth heads on his belvedere, and my brother has the regular ones on his challenger. my brother did a little work on them his own by hand and his car dyno'd at 550hp with well over 600lbs of tq. pump gas runs great. he has a street strip cam 500+ ci stroker kit also from 440 source. my dads car was not dyno'd. they have had zero problems with the heads

i see the super stealth ones require a .650 offset whats a good set of roller rockers to use with those?

I purchased a set of CNC Stealths back in June or July. I had heard on FABO from a few people that the valves that come in them are OK but the rest of the hardware was risky, and should be upgraded. What I did was talk to Kim at 440 Source and also called Comp Cams first before ordering anything. I wound up choosing the cam I wanted from Comp and arrainged to have Comp ship the matching valve springs and hardware directly to 440 Source and they assembled them with the Comp parts and then shipped the heads to me. I have not installed the heads yet, but I did unpack them and inspect them as close as possible without disassembling them. I don't see any problems and I'll say the casting quality looks real nice. 440 Source ads claim that the CNC job opens the intakes up to 255 cc and that they flow 330 cfm @.700. I don't remember if they list any low lift numbers. I choose the Stealths over the Edelbrocks mainly because of the stock appearance/total lack of and logo of the Stealths. I'm going to paint them Chrysler orange along with the motor for the stock look. I'll be posting complete results with the car once its up and running and I make some passes at the track.

-
Back