Steering column collar interference

-

A Body 440 WHY NOT

Reaction score
All,
I have cured some small issues with the 440 install. The one I am tackling next is the header ( Schumacher tri Y) hitting the steering column collar that exits the firewall. I seem to remember someone trimming that collar. I removed the steering column and have it on the bench. there is a bearing at the end with a plastic between the bearing and the collar.
Is it possible to trim 2" off this collar and relocate the bearing ?
Or is there an easier fix to this problem ?
The headers are coated , I would hate to start pounding on them.
Any and all help is appreciated !!!
:thumbsup:

20200404_155853.jpg

Yes, you can cut the column shorter and move the bearing, BUT 1967 column inner sleeves have a taper is just the wrong place. I solved this on my Barracuda by removing it and cutting a section out another part of the inner sleeve and welding it back together.

Yes, you can cut the column shorter and move the bearing, BUT 1967 column inner sleeves have a taper is just the wrong place. I solved this on my Barracuda by removing it and cutting a section out another part of the inner sleeve and welding it back together.

Jim Lusk.
Thanks for the info.
I cut the collar to find that inner collar. It was a problem. Also the column was much larger in diameter than described. Another big problem. Took a couple hours to fix, but I am close to finishing. Should be better then new when done.

-
Back