Steering column help

-

Tony Barracuda

Reaction score
So I need help again. I bought a p/s floor shift column from a member for my 68 barracuda.
I rebuilt it and now putting the car together and the column seems to short. My car came with column shift p/s
one. Am I doing something wrong or just missing something? Here is some pics.
Thanks!

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

The shaft can collapse (safety feature). I had to extend mine because of the same issue.

We left the steering wheel on and placed the column face down on the steering wheel. With a hammer we tapped upwards with vice grips on the shaft under the pins with the coupler removed to extend it.

*EDIT*

skip to the 3 minute mark on the video to see another way of doing it.

Video here:

Last edited:
The coupler can slide a significant amount along the column. How close are the shoes in the coupler from coming out?

I pulled on the coupler as much as I could by hand. I may want to tap on it a touch to see, because I do remember the shaft had the little plastic pins in it — unless it collapsed a bit when I was putting it together and had it upright and the coupler on the floor and fighting with the collar up top. ???

Nope, shaft has to be collapsed was able to punch the coupler in about 1 1/8 in and pull back out to where the coupler just touches the box shaft.

-
Back