Steering column removal

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Anything special I should know before I remove the steering column from a 65 Barracuda in order to paint. I have the dash out and have painted it as well as most of the interior.
Just looking, removal looks simple. Just wanted to double check.
Thanks

Unbolt the plate that bolts it to the firewall, unplug the harness, drive the roll pin out of the coupler and tap the coupler off the gear and pull the column.

Didn't seem complicated, just wanted to double check. Thanks.

Unbolt the plate that bolts it to the firewall, unplug the harness, drive the roll pin out of the coupler and tap the coupler off the gear and pull the column.

Yep.

I believe that a 1/4" punch will be what you need to push the roll pin out. Have someone hold the steering wheel from turning while removing the roll pin, it tends to want to turn as you try to tap it out...

Great info. Hopefully Monday that will be my plan

Without knowing for sure.. I think the box coupling on the lower end of the shaft is a bit different from the later ones, parts don't interchange, correct parts hard to find, most common rebuild kit not the right one for this year model, etc... In any case, If you don't intend to rebuild that coupling be very careful to not damage it. The top on it is crimped on like a bottle cap and easily feked up. I ounce used a pickle fork to carefully get the coupling off the steering gear only to go inside, grab the column and start bringing it in. The coupling caught on the edge of the hole through the firewall and came apart. DOH !

-
Back