Steering Wheel Install Problems

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
So Im installilng a Grant tuff wheel into my 70 Swinger and I purchased a repo can so I wouldnt have to use the Grant install kit, and have it look more factory. As you can see by the pic, I have a 1/4" gap and some spline left after tightening the steering nut, this cant be right, has anyone run into this problem? I cant see what would be stopping it from going on further.

20240826_202900.jpg
20240826_203005.jpg

The steering shaft is located by a small ball-bearing, floating in a rubber sleeve and secured by a snapring; all of this is below the signal switch, in the main housing. If your bearining is properly located then you get what you get, with aftermarket parts..

So Im installilng a Grant tuff wheel into my 70 Swinger and I purchased a repo can so I wouldnt have to use the Grant install kit, and have it look more factory. As you can see by the pic, I have a 1/4" gap and some spline left after tightening the steering nut, this cant be right, has anyone run into this problem? I cant see what would be stopping it from going on further.

View attachment 1716295270View attachment 1716295271
Try doing a search. There was somebody on here with this same complaint not long ago. Maybe they figured something out.

Here you go buddy. This might answer it for you.

The steering shaft is located by a small ball-bearing, floating in a rubber sleeve and secured by a snapring; all of this is below the signal switch, in the main housing. If your bearining is properly located then you get what you get, with aftermarket parts..
Thanks for this. Next time I get knee-deep into my column to paint or other, Ill do a little more checking into this, Ill bet there is a little more going on, Im positive that this should fit just a bit more closely. But I hear you on aftermarket parts, just no quality control anymore it seems, not even on expensive stuff. Ugh.
Thanks man, much appreciated! Glad to see that Im not the only one having this issue. Like I just said above, maybe there is something else going on that we arent aware of, I'll check into it at a future date.
Or it could just be an issue of the outer housing on the can should be 3/16" longer to take up that space. :)

there is a keyed spline on the column and wheel. Are they lined up?
The assembly is back together now so I cant tell, but I was rotating the can on shaft and it seemed to only want to go on one way easily, so without actually looking at it, Im assuming that it is. But this is something that I will be checking into further.
thanks for the info :)

-
Back