Still a slight arc at plug after changing them?

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. challenger57

challenger57 cuda57

Local Time:
    3:32 PM
    I had an arc at all my plugs in my 360 with autolite 64's. I changed them out today to NGK 2023's. At idle it still exist but not always like before. It actually looks like a ring around the plug. Can't tell if it is around the porcelain or at the thread. What are some thoughts and sollutions? The accel yellow wires are at least 10 yrs old. What about using dielectric grease around the threads?

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:32 PM
    I would be checking for opens, like open coil / plug wires, or maybe what has become known as "rotor phasing" problems. The number one thing would be very high that is abnormal high voltage in the secondary circuit.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • 340sFastback

340sFastback Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I wonder if the spark plug boots are carbon tracked? I had that arcing problem back in the '80s with Champion plugs been running autolites since and no problems. Sometimes when you have arcing and just change the spark plugs the spark plug boots are carbon tracked providing a path for the electric to travel down. Only way out is to replace spark plug wires and spark plugs both at the same time.

• AJ/FormS

AJ/FormS 68 B'cuda fb, Form S clone ... 367/A833/3.55s

South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
      Local Time:
      Are all the wires doing it? Then I would put new wires on it. If just one, I would swap it to another location. If the halo follows the wire,I would replace it. If the halo stays with the plug, pull it and check the gap. Large gaps require extra voltage to initiate the spark. The coil usually has the reserve. The wire sometimes not.The big fat square Accell SuperCoil seems to fire any typical gap. Mine has been firing the same Champions for 10 or more years.The original gap was .045. At 100,000 miles later, I have no idea what the gaps might be. Still starts click/vroom.Still hits 7200. Probably still goes 93/eighth
      Only saints should have halos, and only in pictures.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        1:32 PM
        Good point. Some sort of dirt / contamination could have made the boot / wire conduct. I've run some plugs WITHOUT a boot, the boot got torn, or burned, or too close to a header, ran without. They should not arc

• challenger57

challenger57 cuda57

Local Time:
        I like the concept of the carbon track of the plug wires. I know they are over 10 yrs old, that is how long I have had the car. I guess I will add them to my summit order.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.