Stock vs hp Steet clutch discs

-

bcuda1$3$

Reaction score
1969 barracuda stock and tired 318/727 combo. Getting prepared to order a rebuild kit, probably some Cope racing transmissions. My dilemma is I’m not making a lot of power and don’t plan on really hyping the engine up.

I’m getting conflicting info on what clutch discs. One camp says stock discs give low parasitic loss through the trans. While the flip side of coin says with performance clutch discs you get available power to ground with less slip.

Obviously stock is smooth and street hp probably not as smooth and all out race harsh. I get that. I just have a low horsepower motor, pushing through a large transmission and don’t wanna lose any more power, I want the motors available power to get to the ground the easiest

IMG_0172.jpeg

Did you put the 727 in there? Cause it would have come with a 904. Important to check before you order a rebuilt kit. For what you’re doing a stock rebuild will be perfectly fine.

Were you happy with it before it got tired? If so just go stock.

Yea my father in law did.
Got it. A stock 727 will handle a good amount of power. Rebuild it stock and put a shift kit in it and it’ll handle just about anything an 318 can throw at it.

i'll echo the sentiment of veering toward a stock rebuild with a shift kit.

add a deeper pan for more capacity and a drain plug. you'll need a filter extension if the new pan doesn't come with one.

if you don't have it, part throttle kickdown is nice. they sell a kit for it.

personally, i'd go thru A&A for the parts. one stop shop for all the bits and they'll walk you thru it on the phone.

I vote stock rebuild. May be a shift kit if you want to churp your tires into second gear.

I'll add an AMEN to the stock rebuild with a shift kit. I 100% totally agree with @junkyardhero about buying from A&A Transmission instead of CRT. Rick Allison is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Another good place to buy transmission parts is Andrews Racing Transmissions

He is a member here and is always willing to share his knowledge. Good luck with your project.

-
Back