Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Got 2/3rds of vinyl plank flooring done. Looks good. Wife sent son a photo of it, guess i know whats happening next...

So i went to lowes to get some bolts to replace a few missing bolts to put the engine stand together but i discovered the weirdest thing.

They don't stock 9/16 bolts. The bolt isle has 1/2 inch then it jumps to 5/8". When i asked about 9/16, the guy said they have to be ordered, and are expensive.

So i bought the 5/8" and drilled the holes out so they fit.

Weird
Lowe’s here doesn’t stock anything grade 8. And grade 5, only goes up to 1/4 inch.

Home Depot only stocks grade 5 and below. But all the way up to 1 inch.

I go to Tractor supply or rural king if I need it the same day. Cheap and they stock grade 8 up to 1.125 inch diameter and as long as a foot(que Karl).

if you’re not in a rush, McMaster Carr has decent prices on bulk stuff

says-here-that-ik4y77.jpg

202e680d000285b04f8ba555769ae64666ce4b939b52a8619a0d9c432dd89426_1.jpg

So i went to lowes to get some bolts to replace a few missing bolts to put the engine stand together but i discovered the weirdest thing.

They don't stock 9/16 bolts. The bolt isle has 1/2 inch then it jumps to 5/8". When i asked about 9/16, the guy said they have to be ordered, and are expensive.

So i bought the 5/8" and drilled the holes out so they fit.

Weird

There is an Ace Hardware around here that's right on the border of the two counties that stocks 9/16" bolts... They carry taps through 3/4" even... That's my go to place when everyone else doesn't have it - if they don't have it, nobody local will....

Lowe’s here doesn’t stock anything grade 8. And grade 5, only goes up to 1/4 inch.

Home Depot only stocks grade 5 and below. But all the way up to 1 inch.

I go to Tractor supply or rural king if I need it the same day. Cheap and they stock grade 8 up to 1.125 inch diameter and as long as a foot(que Karl).

if you’re not in a rush, McMaster Carr has decent prices on bulk stuff

Menards has the best prices on bolts, nuts, washers, etc....

Mc Master is good also....

My parts store has a large selection of hardware. But a few years ago it was really sparse.

last owner’s motto “if we dont got it, you dont need it”

thats why i never gave him a dime.
Now i spend 20/30k a year there.

Good Morning Everyone. Got the water pump changed in the daily, and now found what was causing the running light fuse to blow. It was the driver's side front/side marker light harness. It was chaffed and direct short to the body panel. BUT, still no tail lights...UGH

Two oil changes today, then some more storage building work. Have to fix a couple spots on metal roofing, wind keeps catching it. Makes a lot of racket. Suprised it hasnt torn off.
Thanksgiving this weekend, son called and said he will be home. we need to have a good talk, hes concerned about switching jobs.
Making good coin now, but only home 1 week each month.
Local job opening but way less money. But its a comfortable wage imho.

Two oil changes today, then some more storage building work. Have to fix a couple spots on metal roofing, wind keeps catching it. Makes a lot of racket. Suprised it hasnt torn off.
Thanksgiving this weekend, son called and said he will be home. we need to have a good talk, hes concerned about switching jobs.

Happy Thanksgiving! Yeah, you only go around once, I missed a lot of my kids growing up while serving in the Navy.

Well I totally ate it at work yesterday, right at end of the day. I stepped off of a concrete landing outside a little communications room, tools/materials in my hand and there's a drop, probably 10-12 inches down, stepped on the edge of the slab, lost my balance and *** over tea kettle I went. I did a barrel roll across a table we had removed from the small room and placed outside, I probably ended up 10 feet from where I started the "old guy fall". Luckily didn't break anything, my co-worker said "You showed that table who was boss" lol! I'm going to talk to the plants supervisor and ask him to bring up the grade with more gravel around that landing.

Well I totally ate it at work yesterday, right at end of the day. I stepped off of a concrete landing outside a little communications room, tools/materials in my hand and there's a drop, probably 10-12 inches down, stepped on the edge of the slab, lost my balance and *** over tea kettle I went. I did a barrel roll across a table we had removed from the small room and placed outside, I probably ended up 10 feet from where I started the "old guy fall". Luckily didn't break anything, my co-worker said "You showed that table who was boss" lol! I'm going to talk to the plants supervisor and ask him to bring up the grade with more gravel around that landing.

Glad you are ok. I did a similar thing - stepped off a footing unknowingly. Dropped about 18" but caught myself. Lower back has never been the same.

Well that’s below average. Glad your ok.

Happy Thanksgiving! Yeah, you only go around once, I missed a lot of my kids growing up while serving in the Navy.
We didnt get along all that well until a couple years ago. He called out of the blue and asked advice about a vehicle. I explained how to change ball joints the way i used to do it without a press. Seemed he then understood i wasnt so dumb. He calls 2 or 3 times a week, i enjoy my chats with him.

Been there. Moreso lately than a couple years ago. And no more heavy lifting.

Glad you are ok. I did a similar thing - stepped off a footing unknowingly. Dropped about 18" but caught myself. Lower back has never been the same.

Thanks, yeah elbow is scraped up and sore, wrist too but back is probably the worst, just glad I got out of bed easily, could have been worse.

Damn! It's not the fall that hurts it's the sudden stop at the end. Probably sore and bruised a bit but nothing broken.

Tough choice to make. Been there Done that. Got about 32 T-shirts. In the long run it worked out well. One of those choices that life just throws up in our faces to make. He'll make the right choice and do well with it. :thumbsup:

-
Back