Street 340 Oil Pan

-

goldduster318

Overzealous Car Modifier
Reaction score
All,

I picked up a '70 340 recently for the Duster. I need to replace the oil pan because the one that came with it looks as follows:

100_0015.jpg

And the pickup
100_0052.jpg

Needless to say this is a street car and this engine does have a factory windage tray already. I need a pan that does not hang below the depth of the k-frame because my car is very low and I live in SE michigan. I also have TTI headers so those would need to clear, as well as Power Steering

With that being said, what would be good?

Milodon stock replacement? Milodon Low profile? Kevko? Something else? I'd like your opinions.

I have a brand new never installed oil pan that was mistakenly sent to me instead of a 360 pan. If your interested, PM me and let me know. I also have a stock pick up instead of that modified one for the deep pan.

See the post below on the newest Milodon pan... Most factory pans are fine even on cars that sit a little low.

you should have that oil pickup patented.......

I'd like to have an oil pan that has baffling in it at least. That leaves out the OEM pans although my current 360 has the stock replacement milodon pan and that is a decent piece that does have a baffle.

I think adding some extra capacity would be an advantage. The oil in my 360 gets VERY hot...I think some extra capacity would keep the heat down at least a little by letting it sit in the pan for a little while when its coming back down.

To cool the oil, add a cooler. Plumbed from the oil filter location, it's an adapter with hose to a cooler/rad. Additional capcity is good as well as moving the oil away (Downward) from the crank.

Adding a baffle to a stock pan is easy work. Cardboard templates and a couple of spot welds with a mig on the sheet metal cut outs will do the job very well.

The Kevco does not hang below k-member and it is 6 quarts plus what ever the oil filter holds. Very nice pans and cheap too.

Attachments

• UnderCar.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 551
Looks below the K to me.

Per Kevco's website, the pn 301/302 has a 8" sump height and holds 6 quarts

The new Milodon road race pan pn 31590/31595 has a 7" sump height and holds 6 quarts

The low pro Milodon 30936/30941has a 7 3/4" sump height and holds 7 quarts

I know I shouldn't say any thing BUT with that pickup I would want to check the barrings that thing scares me.....Artie

I was scared an alien was going to pop out of that thing like that dudes belly in the movie.

that's one frankensteined pickup tube. :-D

I'm running the Kevco pan & pickup on my 340 installed in my 68 dart. The Hooker Super Comps hang down way lower than the pan.
Will the TTI's work with the Kevco pan?

I'm running the Kevco pan & pickup on my 340 installed in my 68 dart. The Hooker Super Comps hang down way lower than the pan.
Will the TTI's work with the Kevco pan?

See 340sfastbacks pics, he has tti's

On an early A the TTIs work great with a kevco pan.

Thanks guys. I did order a Kevko w/pickup from CNC motorsports this morning.

I did check the bearings, they do look worn enough to warrant replacement. The crank looks very good though. The engine had apparently been run with that pan and pickup since 1988 or 1989 (judging by the date on the pistons & bearings being late in 1988).

Now I'm wondering if its time for a re-ring...the bores still show the crosshatch though. The pistons are also the KB Silvolite 1267's.

-
Back