Stroker 470 ci pistons

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Anybody running a 470 ci (400 with 440 crank (3.915) and a 6.535 rod with big compression (14.0-15.0)? If so what piston did you use? Trying to find an off the shelf piston so I don't have to spend big bucks on custom.

Anybody running a 470 ci (400 with 440 crank (3.915) and a 6.535 rod with big compression (14.0-15.0)? If so what piston did you use? Trying to find an off the shelf piston so I don't have to spend big bucks on custom.
I used KB pistons and it worked well.

I have a hard time believing you'll find shelf pistons in that compression ratio. The only people that build stroker engines with that much compression ratio are hard core engine builders. And those guys all buy custom pistons. At that compression ratio engine builders usually want more features than what you'll find on a shelf piston. Narrow rings, gas ports, coated skirts, CNC machining, special valve pockets, etc.

I have a hard time believing you'll find shelf pistons in that compression ratio. The only people that build stroker engines with that much compression ratio are hard core engine builders. And those guys all buy custom pistons. At that compression ratio engine builders usually want more features than what you'll find on a shelf piston. Narrow rings, gas ports, coated skirts, CNC machining, special valve pockets, etc.

Thanks for chiming in Andy; always appreciate your knowledge!. I am going to be running methanol so trying to get as much use out of the high octane as possible. My build is with the 6.535 rod and 3.915 stroke. What would your recommend for a piston??

Thanks for chiming in Andy; always appreciate your knowledge!. I am going to be running methanol so trying to get as much use out of the high octane as possible. My build is with the 6.535 rod and 3.915 stroke. What would your recommend for a piston??
a bit different combo, my 470 low deck is 3.9 stro9ke 4.375 bore 6.7 long eagle bbc rod 1.32 ch icon dome. ends up .010 down, just right for a small cut to zero deck. with those dome pistons and 74cc victors you have 15 to one comp, nice alcohol motor.

Hey I know you're wanting to use a 6.535 rod but if you were to use a 6.70 rod you can use a dome piston. I came up with 14.50:1 compression with 4.375 bore,
.00 deck (that's .002 cut off the deck)
.030 head gaskets
-14 cc domes (common size)
I put in 78 cc's for combustion chambers in the math.
Might be useless info, but if it helps it helps

Ross makes a piston for that combo I have that in my race car bought them 15 years ago

the Ross catalog shows a 1.471CH flat top piston. Don't see any dome pistons in their catalog that would work. You should probably call them. maybe they just don't list in the catalog and can still make it and call it a shelf piston.

other than that ^, what's cheaper...new rods or custom pistons..

-
Back