Structural Strength

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
Hey guys I was hoping somebody could give me a couple suggestions on how I should build my roll cage. I did a drawing in paint with a picture from a factory service manual and made it so It was jsut a bare bones frame. So heres the drawing. It's all triangulated and hopefully it'll be strong. I want to build the cage and frame so that it's as strong as possible because even if just for now it's going to have a 318 I want to have it so I can have a bunch of options for motors, etc. whether it's a 300hp 318 or a 1500 hp blown hemi.

proposed roll cage2.jpg

You should consult the rulebook of the sanctioning body that you plan to compete in. For instance if you plan on drag racing your car get an NHRA rulebook. They have specific specifications which must be followed if you want to pass tech and race your car.

Alternatively I would suggest consulting a chassis builders website for ideas on how their cars are constructed. For drag racing you can look at

www.appliedracing.com
www.chassisworks.com
www.competitionengineering.com
www.quartermax.com
www.chassisengineering.com

among many others.

Good advice on the rule book.
You should also consider, at the very least, frame connectors with the main hoop attached to it behind the seat. The more HP you make, the more you will need additional suspension work or back-halving, as you may find out through research.

Guitar Jones said:
You should consult the rulebook of the sanctioning body that you plan to compete in. For instance if you plan on drag racing your car get an NHRA rulebook. They have specific specifications which must be followed if you want to pass tech and race your car.

Alternatively I would suggest consulting a chassis builders website for ideas on how their cars are constructed. For drag racing you can look at

www.appliedracing.com
www.chassisworks.com
www.competitionengineering.com
www.quartermax.com
www.chassisengineering.com

among many others.

Hey Guitar its www.cachassisworks.com BTW.

Triangles...you want all the bars to be triangles. When all the parts are correct it is imposible to crush a traingle because they tranfer the weight throught out.

-
Back