Stubborn Dash Pad

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
I bought a replacement dashpad from Year One at least 8 months ago, and have wrestled with the dash to get the old cracked and blue one out to put in my nice, soft, shiney black one in. I got two bolts off of the passenger side, but there are still three left that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to. The car is a 74 Duster, any advice would be much appreciated, I paid good money for the dash pad and it's just sitting under my bed feeling neglected.

Well there is one middle nut left and I still can't get to the 2 driver side bolts. If I drop the steering column, will I be able to get to them? I've removed it before so I'm comfortable with getting it back in, but I'm not real comfortable with all of the crazy wiring; the poor thing is a little messy behind the dash.

ok... drop the heater controls and get the one nut back there. the drivers side you will need to drop the column a bit to get the cluster out. i have made this a science since i had to pull my cluster several times in my scamp to replace bulbs and fix things. with the cluster out you SHOULD be able to get to the last two bolts holding it in. the heater controls WILL be the hardest to deal with but once its done you will figure out the easy way to R&I them...

Warning the amp meter is hot with the keys off on that cluster. Be careful not to bump the pins on any metal, or say yourself while your reaching around in the blind.

Magnus said:
Warning the amp meter is hot with the keys off on that cluster. Be careful not to bump the pins on any metal, or say yourself while your reaching around in the blind.

Or, you can disconnect the battery. This is really a good standard procedure to follow anytime you are messing around with wiring, especially under the dash.

Yeah I bumped something with my knee the other night and it hit the metal dash, thereby lighting up the entire interior for a split second. I think the thing dangling down might be the reason my dash lights don't work... It has a red wire and a black wire and looks like it's waiting for a light bulb. Any ideas? The heater/AM radio lights work, just not the ones that tell me insignificant stuff like how fast I'm going and how much gas I don't have.

The dash is on the back burner until I can get the suspension in order and get some bigger wheels under there.

-
Back