Stuck Bolt on Front fender tirm. Ideas?

-

swinger74

Reaction score
Hello, well i was taking off all my trim, getting my car ready for paint and the trim on the fender extension (72 dart) one bolt is just spinning. any ideas on how to remove the bolt without messing anything up? Thought id ask here before doing something stuipd.

Ryan

Is the fender extension on or off the car?
C

Ryan,
In the absence of anyone else coming up with anything better... and I am not familiar with the trim piece you are talking about. If the fender extension was off the car you could possibly drill out the screw, or grind it off - I would probably use either is zizz wheel with a cut off blade or an angle die grinder with a 40G rol lock disc.
If you could post up a pic it would be helpful for me to understand better.
C

drilling it out is what i thought, just wanted to see if there were any other options before i did that and took a risk of messing it up, i am not at my house but found a pic of it online.

Attachments

• fender trim.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 142
What is on the back side of the fender extension that it screws into? I'm guessing a U-nut?
C

no it just screws into the fender extension itself not nut or anything

By fender I assume you're talking about the front. Here's a couple images from my '70. The front and the rear. Which one is not coming out?

Have you tried wedging a screw driver or chisel under the head as you turn it to see if you can get it to get a little bite and come out of the hole?

View attachment front.jpg

View attachment rear.jpg

If it screws directly into the fender extension try doing what Robj suggests, if that don't work I think you are back to grinding it off from the backside.
C

I should have looked and read more carefully. I see it's a trim piece and not actually the extension. Haven't dealt with those. Can't say I've ever even seen one.

Can you remove the other screws first, so the trim is loose, then hold the trim piece pulling lightly outward while using the screwdriver?

-
Back