stuck in 2nd

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
whilst driving home from work the other day the transmission got stuck in 2nd gear. i was in rush hour traffic so it wasn't like i was power shifting or anything. when i went to shift into 3rd the lever wouldn't move much and as i pushed it forwards i could feel a pulsing through the lever. luckily i wasn't far from home and with crappy orange county traffic only having 2nd gear didn't make much difference to the time it took to get back home!

when i got home i disconnected the 1-2 shifter rod and could move the shifter freely. i tried moving the lever on the traansmission with vice grips but was unable to do so.

anybody have any ideas what's wrong? is it likely to be something i can fix by removing the side cover or is the trans going to have to come out?

thanks

onehellofadart said:
Did you check that 3&4 and Rev Levers were not also engaged?
Yep, what he said.
Check to make sure the 3/4 lever nut is tight also. I had this problem on my RR.
Also disconnect the linkages and make sure the shifter moves freely. If not pull the shifter boot and have a look in there

Finally had chance to have another look at it. I disconnected all the shift linkages from the side of the block. I think the 3-4 and reverse selectors are in neutral but can't be 100% sure. Anyway I can't move them or the 1-2 selector from the postions they are in - they aren't seized solid but they won't move enough to engage or disengage the gears.

The shifter moves perfectly through all gear positions when disconnected from the transmission.

Guess I'm just going to have to take the side cover off this weekend...

-
Back