Suggested wheel size for rear

-

Desoto291hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

I am open to ideas about rear wheel size .
This is a really sweet original car,,,,I’m not going to cut or tub the rear quarters .
I am going to cut the rear housing down to 51 1/2 end to end .
I’m planning on moving the perches in to 42 center of each other.
The springs can be moved inboard about an inch to fit that .

My real question is will a 15x8 fit ,,or should I stick to a 15x7 ,,,,I think an 8 inch wheel will fit ?,,,,but I want to listen to experience .
I’m planning on using Cragar because I always liked them when I was young .
But I’m not certain what backspace is available,,,,I’ll use 15x7 if it’s the best .
I want it to look and fit good,,,,but not damage the tire or body .
Thanks guys for any help you have .

Tommy

Oh man,,,,sorry !
I knew I was tired,,,lol .

It’s a 73 Swinger .

Tommy
I have 17 x 8’s under the rear of my ‘73 Swinger, no sweat. I have 4 1/2” of backspace with a stock 7.25” rear. I have a 245/50 on it and the tire causes a few rubs occasionally. That could be a result of the car being lowered a considerable amount though. Hotchkis leaf springs with their provided front hangers.

It depends ENTIRELY on rearend width, spring location, and wheelwidth and backspace, what ill fit.....and what won't.
Narrowing the rear, and moving the springs, we have no idea what might work. Those measurements will be your job.
Do some research. Find out what the backspace is on the wheel you want, decide on the tire size, narrow the rear to fit.
(I'm assuming an 8 3/4)
Or..... get a tire and wheel that fits the car as is.

Last edited:
Well,,,,,the rear will be approximately an inch narrower than stock .
The perches will be approximately an inch closer together than stock .
The rear will be an 8 3/4,,,,,cut down to an A body length,,,actually less than an A body is because the A body has an 52.6 rear tube to tube end ,,,,approximately .

I’m just looking for about the biggest tire I can put into a factory wheel well.
I’m not building a race car,,,,this is a nice performance street car .
It will be performance,,,,but really closer to the stock end of the scale .

All I’m changing will be the driveline .
Rear,,,,then engine and transmission .

I’m just looking for experienced opinions on what works in the factory hole .
Not shoved full until it rubs,,,,,just what works the best .
I can measure the wheel Wells and calculate what I need,,,,,but I’m looking for real world experience on what I might encounter that I haven’t thought about .
Thanks .

Tommy

-
Back