Suggestions for shoulder belt mounting

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So when I got my 67 Dart I got four 5 point harnesses with the car, and up till now I've just used the lap belt portion for my seat belts because I don't have a good place to anchor the shoulders. I know you're not supposed to take them down to the floor behind the seat because of how it will pull down on your shoulders in the event of a crash, so I've been kicking around the idea of a simple roll bar in the car I can use as a mounting point, but I had some questions regarding it. My original idea was to just get a hoop bar put in behind the front seats and run a removable bar across it that the belts could attach to, that way I can still get in the back seat (was thinking to make the removable part pin on or something), but when I got to thinking about it I wasn't sure how strong an unsupported hoop might be. I really don't want to run down bars to the front or back because it would make it a big hassle to get in and out of the car and I don't really seriously race it, only the occasional time trial night to see what it's got. I'm really just looking for a good solution to mount the shoulder portions of my harnesses that would still allow easy access to the rear seats without needing tools to remove parts. Any suggestions or pictures of things you all have done? Would an unsupported hoop be okay structurally?

-
Back