Summit 2.5" exhaust

-

69swinger340391

Reaction score
I bought the Summit 2.5" kit because i needed mufflers and tail pipes. The Mandrel bent pipes are really nice, and it came with the Summit turbo mufflers.

I got around to installing it today on my car (69 Dart Swinger 340) For now, I just used a bushing to go from my existing 2 1/4" head pipes to the 2 1/2" mufflers. The over the axle pipes and tail pipes went together very easily. I needed to trim an inch or 2 off each to get the right fit, and I cut the tailpipes short so I could attach the new 2 1/2" reproduction tips I have.

The driver side over axle pipe was not perfect, I think it was because my existing head pipe had too much of a bend at the muffler connection, causing the muffler to angle out toward the rear tire too much. Any way, I cut the axle pipe, clocked it slightly, and welded it back together. The rest was pretty straightforward.

The Summit mufflers produce a DEEP mellow tone at idle, and are pretty quiet at cruise speed, but at 1600 to 1800 rpm, or any time you accelerate at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, there is a deafening drone to the exhaust.

I did find a big leak at the passenger side manifold to headpipe connection, so I will fix that and hope that it quiets the drone. I did check, the exhaust does not hit the body anywhere and there are no other leaks.

Anyone else have this issue with the summit mufflers?

The kit is designed to be a complete header back system. Future plans include using the rest of the pipes in the kit, and then fabricating connections to the manifolds. The passenger side is pretty straightforward, but that driver side HP manifold, pitman arm, starter and torsion bar maze scares me.

Anyone here custom make you own down pipe? any tips for the drivers side? Can it be done with 2 1/2" pipe?

I really liked mine as well. They slipped right into the Duster just fine, they were Jegs units though. But I wouldn't doubt there made at the same place. LOL
My description of them echo's yours.

I have their X-pipe and a set of cherry bomb turbo style mufflers. I don't have the tail pipes in yet, but it does have a drone at that RPM. My work van has a V-6 and I replaced the muffler last year. I wanted to take out the resonator and was warned not to. It will produce a drone that will drive you crazy was the comment from the exhaust guy. I expect to use "resonators" when I get the tail pipes bent.

I installed the Summit kit. It replaced a compression bent system with 50 series Flowmasters. I find the Summit mufflers quieter every where than the Fowmasters and I am very happy. I got the same drone at 1600-1800 but it's much less pronounced than the Flowmasters which I thought wasn't bad either.

I also installed the Summit x-pipe kit.

FWIW, the Summit kit is made by the company that owns the Cherry Bomb and Maremount brands.

I did the Jeg's version which I'm sure is the same and don't notice a drone. I also put in an H-pipe as well so maybe an H or and X is what you need. I like the sound a lot, not to noisy, not to quite.

I am also very happy with the Summit kit on the'71 Swinger. I am using it with the stock 318 manifolds. Nice and quiet until you get on it but no drone to speak of at the range you mentioned.

I installed that kit on my 68 as well. Fit well and love the sound. I will ordering the x pipe kit with cutouts to make it easier when I take her out to grudge night at the track.

-
Back