Sumo Oranges

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Last year's crop amounted to 2 or 3, this year 50 plus. Not sure what to do with 'em yet. Anyone else here have a crop?

What Is A Sumo Citrus Orange? - Why Are Sumo Oranges So Expensive?

sumo.png

The first one fell from the tree yesterday. Today I ate it. It was not sweet, not sour, but very acidic-like. I am going to try putting them out for a week or two off the tree to see if I can sweeten them up some. Definitely easy to peel and eat, everything inside is edible (none of that fibrous stuff sometimes one has to just spit back out). So far, very disappointed.

Super thick peels, no flavor? Been there....blame global warming...for the bumper crop of food worldwide! What could be better? You'd think world hunger would be more important than oceans rising 3 inches in the next hundred years...if the models are correct but then again weather models were wrong again today...no rain here.

JP Morgan leaked document says global warming threatens the human race. When? We got people living in Phoenix and its 115 there. Too hot for you? Just pick up and move to Fargo. There is a reason very few people live in the middle of the Sahara, because they got smart and moved to cooler climates.

JP Morgan leaked document says global warming threatens the human race. When? We got people living in Phoenix and its 115 there. Too hot for you? Just pick up and move to Fargo. There is a reason very few people live in the middle of the Sahara, because they got smart and moved to cooler climates.

Hmmmm. Did you buy and plant the tree? Could be rootstock oranges or a sour variety.
Oranges don't typically ripen and get sweeter after picking.

The wife purchased the tree at a local nursery, it looks like a sumo orange, but I can't be sure.

The literature online describes how the Japanese store 'em at a certain temperature in sealed bags for 20 days to make them sweeter-sounds against everything we have been told about not sweetening off the vine doesn't it?

maybe they are like Avocados....gotta pick 'em and bag 'em to make 'em edible.

The wife purchased the tree at a local nursery, it looks like a sumo orange, but I can't be sure.

The literature online describes how the Japanese store 'em at a certain temperature in sealed bags for 20 days to make them sweeter-sounds against everything we have been told about not sweetening off the vine doesn't it?
It does, but my days of being a citrus farmer are long ago. Because of freezes, canker and greening it's almost gone from central Florida. Bag em and try!

I asked one out on a date once but she didn't find me appealing :D
they all look so juicy I just want to eat one and make her happy :eek:
tenor-gif.gif

-
Back