Sun MDT distributor tester

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and got one tonight. It spins when turned on but sounds like it needs bearings. The gauges are non working, He said when he turned it on the red lead was on the post and started smoking so now it has no power at that clamp. Hopefully one day I will find time to try and fix it.
96427287_10219689997534914_3830925796545921024_o.jpg

at least with a Sun, there's a good chance you can get parts, & literature for it. There are( or at least WERE) companies that rebuild them.

At worst it is a killer mancave art. Heck I'd put it in the living room!

I pulled the trigger and got one tonight. It spins when turned on but sounds like it needs bearings. The gauges are non working, He said when he turned it on the red lead was on the post and started smoking so now it has no power at that clamp. Hopefully one day I will find time to try and fix it.
View attachment 1715532207
what year do you think it is? Does it have any electronic dist. capabilities or attachments?
I think when you clean it up, it'll look pretty cool. good score.

what year do you think it is? Does it have any electronic dist. capabilities or attachments?
I think when you clean it up, it'll look pretty cool. good score.
I think it is about 1959 or 1960 because it has a chart that goes to 1958 in the top scroll. They sell an adapter for electronic conversion.

Used these many times. This appears to be original set-up, for point ignition only. That red wire is the hot lead to the distributor, by grounding it to the chassis it shorted out. Maybe only a fuse or circuit breaker. There are adapters for some electronic distributors. These are still useful for checking dwell, vacuum advance and mechanical advance. You will probably have a dwell meter, tach, vacuum gauge. Uses 110v. Machine throws a light onto the black degree plate on the bottom to track the amount of advance. Have fun.

Used these many times. This appears to be original set-up, for point ignition only. That red wire is the hot lead to the distributor, by grounding it to the chassis it shorted out. Maybe only a fuse or circuit breaker. There are adapters for some electronic distributors. These are still useful for checking dwell, vacuum advance and mechanical advance. You will probably have a dwell meter, tach, vacuum gauge. Uses 110v. Machine throws a light onto the black degree plate on the bottom to track the amount of advance. Have fun.
As I recall that is how they work. I have not used one since High School in the early 80`s and thought it would be a nice addition to the barn. I hope to find a fuse or similar bad when I open it up.

Last edited:
I deal with him all the time good guy. The red lead goes to the distributor lea, and your noise is probably the drive wheel, which Mark sells. Best upgrade you can do is a capacitor kit.
Thank you for commenting. I knew you would be the one who knew about these. You have saved me before with the Delco condensers.

I have around 7 machines and three of them are the same as yours. You might also need a 6V battery also to run it depending when it was built.

Have two leads that go from the side terminals on the machine by chance? There are a ton of scrolls out there would not use that for dating. The back panel of the gauges usually have a rubber stamped date that will be close.

Have two leads that go from the side terminals on the machine by chance? There are a ton of scrolls out there would not use that for dating. The back panel of the gauges usually have a rubber stamped date that will be close.
Yes 2 terminals but they connected all the wires on 1 stud that run the panels.

Should have a external 6V battery for the strobe/gauges. Look for a book on it, Mark at paramount has repops and is a great guy to ask questions to.

Nice. I usually use a 604 because it goes to 8000 rpm, that one maxes out at 4000 rpm. Really cool machine, remember when you shut it off disconnect the drive wheel, handle in the center bottom, or the drive wheel gets a flat spot and vibrates the heck out of it.

-
Back