Sunday's Final Bracket Points Race LVMS

-

GTX JOHN

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We Jon got to the Semi Final Sunday in Sportman.
Jon raced another team along with us are First and Second in the
Yearly Point. John would have won going away for the year,
but the first race he badly broke and disconnected his knee
at the track. After Surgery he missed two races and struggled
to get back on his feet that really hurt the first 1/2 of the year.
They absolute hate us and have challenged us to fist fights in
the stage lane four or more times last couple years and we had to be
separated. The boy is 6'4" and 250 and the Dad is really BIG at about
350LBs on the hoof. With both of our Health battles we were going to
quit the local races but I decided I would rather get my Butt kicked every
week than back down and quit.

Jon put up an .01 light to our enemies .03 and broke out by .01 and our competition
broke out by .03 giving Jon the Win. Sportman out here is .11.50 up and Jon Dialed
11.50 the top of the class (68 Valiant Steet small block that can run 10s). The Dad then complained
that Jon should be DQ for running under 11.50. However, the rules stated that in Sportman you
CAN NOT Dial below 11.50, BUT your car can run however fast that it is legal to run legally. We confirmed
that with tech before first round. He should of know that as he has run Stock Eliminator with his Mopars
for at least 20 years. Jon's Valiant can legally run 10.0 and he was wearing his Fire Jacket and
Pants to make sure we were in full compliance. The Son accused me of having a gun and threatening him
with it after he challenged me to a fight. Of Course, I do not carry a gun in the staging lanes and it is against
the track rules to have one at the track and often they search people going in especially the Friday Night
Street Competition where they check everyone.

Well on to the Sportsman Finals. Again, we faced CW Hoefer (Former World Champion,also current
Winternationals Stock Champ = Beating me in the Wagon in Semifinals) Jon beat him the night before
in the Wally race Final. Saturday night CW put up a .006 in the finals to Jon's .018 although Jon took
an extremely close win. Jon had that on his mind in the final and pushed too hard turning on the
Red Light. CW slipped to a very uncharacteristic .04 and had left the door open for Jon to win again.

In the Semi Final CW raced his wife (Another Sportsman World Champion) and took a razor close .0004
(not a misprint) standing hard on the brakes. That got him to the final, but also probably the couch
for the rest of the month!

The track has not computed the final standings as of yet but I think by my calcs Jon missed first
and finished second but we will see. We will either way have to bring our Boxing Gloves to the
Awards Banquet.

Last edited:
Can’t imagine racing somewhere that you get searched at the gate.
Consider myself lucky I guess.
Congrats ! and I hope the knee rehab goes well !! I and several other racers have been racing high ten second cars slowed down to run 11.50 in Sportsman for years. I Won the Sportsman track championship in 2013 running my Dart that way. It is perfectly legal as long as the method of slowing the car isn't electronic or air operated and the car isn't dialed below 11.50. The Division One Bracket Finals winner in Sportsman is coming to Vegas with his 408 powered Duster. He represented my home track Island Dragway at the Bracket Finals , his father was the Sportsman Track champ in his Chevelle wagon but he also races a Valiant in Pro Eliminator

Last edited:
-
Back