Sunroof option or not

-

/sixchall

Reaction score
I went to a pretty large multi manufacturer American car show today. Since all of you on this forum are pretty associated with and savvy with "A" bodies. I looked at a guys 1968 barracuda in a turbine bronze color and powered by 340. Nice looking car however something I was wondering about was I noticed it had a sunroof. It looked factory installed, but I don't believe there was such an option I just can't believe that it actually looked outside of either factory or dealer installed. Even the location of the switch ( toggle type ) under dash on drivers side of steering wheel. Can anyone here shed a little light on this? The owner can't give me anything to go on. Thanks, Al

Factory ones are manual with a crank in the roof. Could be dealer installed.

Thanks, Kegan B I had a friend with me that had owned "A" bodies in the past, but he was just as perplexed as I was. I was leaning toward dealer installed, because it just didn't have that after market look. I did do a search on-line, but couldn't find an option of that type that came near. So I figured you folks could fill in the blanks for me. Thanks, Al

67dart273, I agree wholeheartedly with you, never did sunroofs or t-tops. Even though my '70 Challenger had a sunroof option, I'm glad mine did not come with that option. Besides if they were that sought after back then, why are they considered rare now? Thanks, Al

I had a Duster with the crank in the roof to roll back the roof panel. We called it a moon roof. Never leaked!

Originally, a sunroof was a solid opaque panel that matched the roof exterior and only let light in when it was opened. The term moonroof was introduced in the 1970’s to describe any panel in the vehicle’s roof that is made of glass and could let light in without being opened.

Today, the term sunroof has universally replaced the term "moonroof" because nearly all have glass panels that can let in light all the time, but also have an interior sliding panel in the headliner that can also block the light.

OK. Cool. So, what do you call the solid panel that rolled back?

Ddaddy is correct.

As for the 68 with a sunroof.... I believe 69 was first year it was available for Mopar and only in B and C bodies..... Late 69 I think.....

Not so great pictures of my 73 cuda roof. I grafted it on from an 06 charger

IMG_20170524_075253.jpg

IMG_20170524_075212.jpg

-
Back