sunset_moonshot tonight

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So I drive down to the E end of the lake for a poor sunset, and try a few moonshots. As I get "into town" I see the sunset has improved so I jump off the freeway and get this shot. THEN I get home and by turning off the porch and carport lights, I get the best shot of the night--right in the front yard

Sunset, Canon 7D, Canon 17-55 lens

Moon, Canon 7D, Canon EF 300mm f2.8 plus Canon 2x extender, so equivalent of 600mm, manually focused with magnified live view. I used the 10 sec timer to reduce tripod shake

The top moon shot is cropped and scaled, the bottom is a full sized crop

Attachments

• _MG_6698cs.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 134
  • _MG_5749cs.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 904
  • _MG_5749fsc.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 904
Show off!! :) ;-)

Really nice shots. In all my years of amateur photography, I have never gotten a good moon shot. Finally gave up. Yours are really nice.

Very nice indeed. I just love the moon shots. Thanks for sharing those.

tmm

Show off!! :) ;-)

Really nice shots. In all my years of amateur photography, I have never gotten a good moon shot. Finally gave up. Yours are really nice.

Thanks but this is one case where really good gear helps a lot. I've played around with a lot of lenses, old manual stuff, adapted, modified, etc.

One mistake many make is too slow shutter speed. The moon moves fairly quickly, and "faster" of course the longer the lens This was taken at ISO 400, 1/250 sec. I would not want much slower.

This 300 mm 2.8 is so old it was built BEFORE consumer digi stuff came out, IE built for an AF film camera. When it was new it was something like 5K. The new replacement is the "II" model, with IS, and it's about 7K. I paid something like 400 bucks for this. The guy was truthful, and told me "I'd probably have to manually focus it" because the AF is off. Turns out my 7D, which has a menu item to correct front/ back focus, had the adjustment range needed.

It's so beat up, I could lie and say "I've been to the Himalayas" er some darn thing, it looks it!!!

One reason I bought the 7D over my 40Ds was the larger, better LCD (magnified live view focus) and the yet larger viewfinder. Unless they get stolen or broke, I won't be buyin' any more cameras!!!!!

Thanks but this is one case where really good gear helps a lot. I've played around with a lot of lenses, old manual stuff, adapted, modified, etc.

One mistake many make is too slow shutter speed. The moon moves fairly quickly, and "faster" of course the longer the lens This was taken at ISO 400, 1/250 sec. I would not want much slower.

This 300 mm 2.8 is so old it was built BEFORE consumer digi stuff came out, IE built for an AF film camera. When it was new it was something like 5K. The new replacement is the "II" model, with IS, and it's about 7K. I paid something like 400 bucks for this. The guy was truthful, and told me "I'd probably have to manually focus it" because the AF is off. Turns out my 7D, which has a menu item to correct front/ back focus, had the adjustment range needed.

It's so beat up, I could lie and say "I've been to the Himalayas" er some darn thing, it looks it!!!

One reason I bought the 7D over my 40Ds was the larger, better LCD (magnified live view focus) and the yet larger viewfinder. Unless they get stolen or broke, I won't be buyin' any more cameras!!!!!

Your point about good equipment is certainly well taken. A 300 with 2.8 is surely a professional quality lens. I actually had some older stuff, including a Vivitar Series 1 zoom that was pretty fast, but it got stolen along with everything else in the camera bag a number of years ago. I currently have a Canon XTi which is not up to your 7D for sure. I never really replaced all my good stuff after the theft, just didn't want to spend all that money again.

That moon shot is sure impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Don't discount the Xti, biggest problem with the Rebel series is the small viewfinders. My first camera, an Xt, has a viewfinder less than half the size of a traditional 35mm film camera

These shots were taken a few years ago with my Xt. The butterfly was taken with an old Mamiya Sekor m42, 55mm f1.8, with an adapter. It was a "lucky" shot. And I don't do these very often!!!! I've got lots and lots of discards

The birds were shot with the Xt, and my Canon 100-400L lens

Link to full size:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2415/2269089278_1e0db611d9_o.jpg

scaled down

2269089278_bda8c616dc_z.jpg

Link to full size:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2025/2253267627_512ccf90c6_o.jpg

scaled:

2253267627_50526dd10e_z.jpg

Link to full size

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2350/2275768578_6bcd0fbd31_o.jpg

scaled down:

2275768578_9e73bee3a0_z.jpg

Again, some VERY nice shots, and yes, I like my XTi, I am just not as dedicated to shooting photos as I used to be. Too many hobbies, just ask my wife. I still enjoy shooting, just not as serious as I once was. I have to kick myself sometimes, because I will forget to take my camera bag with me. I never would have done that a few years back.

Don't discount the Xti, biggest problem with the Rebel series is the small viewfinders. My first camera, an Xt, has a viewfinder less than half the size of a traditional 35mm film camera

These shots were taken a few years ago with my Xt. The butterfly was taken with an old Mamiya Sekor m42, 55mm f1.8, with an adapter. It was a "lucky" shot. And I don't do these very often!!!! I've got lots and lots of discards

The birds were shot with the Xt, and my Canon 100-400L lens

Link to full size:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2415/2269089278_1e0db611d9_o.jpg

scaled down

2269089278_bda8c616dc_z.jpg

Link to full size:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2025/2253267627_512ccf90c6_o.jpg

scaled:

2253267627_50526dd10e_z.jpg

Link to full size

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2350/2275768578_6bcd0fbd31_o.jpg

scaled down:

2275768578_9e73bee3a0_z.jpg

Sweet pics, funny, I took a pic of a Black Swallow Tail butterfly not long ago, it was a cell phone pic but I think it turned out pretty good :glasses7:

When it gets hot out this one should cool you off. tmm

Attachments

• new camera jan01 022.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 61
-
Back