Super Comp Headers

-

65WaxUcuda

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Hey would anyone know or have used them on there 65 Barracuda or know if they would fit the Hooker Super Comp header. would it fit my 65 cuda without any problems...... a quick answer would be great thnx.

You are thinking of fenderwell headers.. the headers that i bought you dont have to cut em up. There the Hooker Super Comp Headers. part number is HOK-5208HKR.. Heres a picture to show you. They say they will "FIT" no problem.

hok-5901.jpg

Didn't know that hooker made a chassis header. I knew that TTI, Doug's, Spitfire, and a few others but not Hooker. Just looking at them I would say no because of the steering box and shaft. But I would contact hooker just incase, those look like they fit the 67 and up with the wider chassis.

Well i called summit racing before i ordered them to make sure that they would "FIT" because i know that steering box is a big issue.. but they said that it would fit no problem... my grandfather told me one time when somebody says "Headers" run away as far as you can ... lol

i guess i will find out by the end of the day they will be arriving ill post some pics up later on...

well let me correct myself the Hooker Super Comp headers the one that i said fit without any problems yeah........... i should have read into it more i got them today and you have to cut the fenderwells to get these dam things to work! and dougs headers are special order and takes 3 weeks to get em... so looks like im going to have to fab up the first set of headers i purchased because i tell you Lady Luck isnt by my side......

Well if you want you can send me the new ones you got, and I'll send you my old ones to cut. Only if you want that is.

im going to try to make them fit i hate to cut the fenderwells like that but i think im going to run into wheel problems though .. so im kinda working on another set of headers first before i cut my fenderwells up although the hooker headers are pretty badass looking.. im trying to fabricate the ceramic headers in the picture for the drivers side.. and if that dont work maybe ill go with the hooker super comps i got o and here is a picture of them..

Pop And The Shop 055.jpg

Pop And The Shop 061.jpg

Pop And The Shop 063.jpg

That's a good looking 65....... Just because I also have a white 65 doesn't influence me, right?

Anyway, Hooker (apparently) didn't make an application for our "vintage" Barracudas until recently - 'cause I checked out their website last fall, and they didn't have any

But I've been casually looking for headers for over a year now. Doug's Headers are around $1300 (less shipping) with a ceramic coating..... wow, that's pretty darn pricey. And the Hookers, which I just found on the web last week are about $775....

But I hesitate to buy any of 'em........... without knowing what torture they were to install. Did you get the Hookers on.... or give up on 'em?

The tti's were on display out in Vegas. They only need a powermaster starter to fit the early a chassis. However, installation requires pulling a torsion bar and is a bit difficult. Nice headers, step from 1-5/8 -1-3/4" with 3" collectors. They have anice exh. system for early a's now as well. expect to spend $750 for the headers.

guys, I have a 72 but from what I've heard from the early A body guys is that Hookers hang down way too low because of the torsion bar. I haven't heard about Doug's, but TTI's are sweet they have the slip joint to clear the torsion bar and fit like a dream.

Hey 65WaxUcuda......

From your post dated 4/13/06, I'm assuming that you contacted the Doug's Headers folks. Did they confirm the $1300 +/- price for the ceramic coated headers, and did they say the headers would fit without cutting?

PolarBear,

I did contact dougs, they said they would fit but you dont never know with those a-bodys! Around april i just decided to buy the hooker fenderwell headers that will fit. Hookers are another idea for you maybe, hookers work good for me because my family runs a little sheet metal company so we can just patch up the fenders real nice looking. But the dougs headers are so expensive. My grandfather said once " If anyone says headers, Run like hell "

-jeff

Hey...... just an update. A couple of weeks ago, I talked to a service rep at TTI. He said that they are currently taking orders for a second run of their headers for the older "A" Bodies (like our '65 Cudas).

He said their first run really sold fast, and that these should do likewise. I'm really tempted to get some, BUT..... he also said that these headers are not the easiest of installations - 'cause you have to remove a torsion bar and the steering column to get the drivers side header in. On the other hand, there is no fender cutting on either side.

Cost is somewhere in the $700-750 range. Quite a bit less than Doug's, but still..........

PolarBear said:
Hey...... just an update. A couple of weeks ago, I talked to a service rep at TTI. He said that they are currently taking orders for a second run of their headers for the older "A" Bodies (like our '65 Cudas).

He said their first run really sold fast, and that these should do likewise. I'm really tempted to get some, BUT..... he also said that these headers are not the easiest of installations - 'cause you have to remove a torsion bar and the steering column to get the drivers side header in. On the other hand, there is no fender cutting on either side.

Cost is somewhere in the $700-750 range. Quite a bit less than Doug's, but still..........

sure they are still expensive but when i opened the box my TTI headers came in i could feel that the quality is worht it they are just soo nicely built and nothing like a cheap set of headers ;)

I've got the fenderwell exit Super Comp Headers. I don't think the headers hang 'too' low, but they are lower than others. In the attached pic, you can see them exiting behind the front tires. I've flipped the spring hangers in the rear so the car sits a little lower than stock.

Greg

440duster.jpg

Ok since we all are talking about headers... what do you all think would fit the best with a 73 Dart Swinger sporting a 318 with power brakes but manual steering? Thanks!

bassicly any set of headers for a mopar abody will fit about the same have seen lots of posts about this and every company seems to have made a few sets of headers that just dont fit like they are suposed to but your manual steering sure helps since that steering box gives the headers alitle more space compared to a car with power steering
the rest is about quality and ground clearence basicly TTI has the best grundclearens as far as i can tell and the best quality but they are very expensive!
will let the other guys fill in what i may have missed;)

I believe that I read a technical article somewhere recently (probably online) about installing TTI headers on a 70's era Dart (or perhaps a Duster)...... I don't remember exactly where I saw the article, but it was a very positive write-up.

If you haven't ever looked at TTI's website (Tube Technologies, Inc.), check it out. Even though I haven't yet "bit the bullet" and ordered a set for my '65 Barracuda, more and more I'm thinking that TTI is the way to go - and the way I'm going to go.

Ok so TTI is probably best since I am going to have manual steering? Works for me... and yes I have seen the prices... 700 some dollars for a set... DANG!

BoredandStroked said:
Ok so TTI is probably best since I am going to have manual steering? Works for me... and yes I have seen the prices... 700 some dollars for a set... DANG!

not realy with manual stearing you have more clearence for headers and the cheaper ones will have less chance of hitting the stearing box, but the tti headers are better quality and they will have better groundclearance, its a hard desicion because of the stupid price on TTI headers...
i bought TTI and i would do it again but if you cant afford them and you dont mind headers hitting speedbumps and things like that or your car is at stock rideheight or higher you should bee fine with the cheaper ones!

OK thanks but I am actually going to lower the front just a tad bit. I dont think an inch would be to terrible on the headers so I will just look around and get a set of full lenght ones. By the way... I hear about these "Spitfire" headers... where the heck are they!

Laysons sells a set of headers that fit inside the fenderwells perfectly.No cutting,no banging.These are for the early 63-66 ABody cars.Tri-Y design.Check out at www.laysons.com

-
Back