Sway bar link question

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Hello good FABO folks,
Getting ready to install my sway bars and have a generic link kit. Does it matter how long the bolt sleeve is, as long as we have appropriate clearance with other parts?
This is going on a '72 Duster that has a later model spool mount K frame. The sleeves in the kit I have measure 2 3/4" long.
Thanks,
C

I know the sway bar that goes through the K used shorter links than the bar that went around the K. What sway bar do you have ? Where are the link tabs on your lower arms ? What position are the calipers , 11 'o'clock or 1 o'clock ?

Redfish,
I hope to be assembling next week. IIRC, the sway bar goes through the K frame. Link tabs for the lower control arms are in the stock location, I bought them with the K frame. Calipers will be mounted to the rear for clearance, that would be at 1:00 on the driver side and 11:00 on the passenger side!
C

If the sway bar goes through the K the calipers go to the front of the car. So looking at the left front assembly, caliper is at 11 o'clock.
There wont be clearance or flex hose length issues if its all 73 up parts.

In principle, you want the sway bar arm to be parallel to the ground, and the end link to be vertical. Clearances may cause some deviation from the ideal, but that's what you are shooting for, to achieve correct geometry.

So, if the sway bar arm is sloping down from the pivot point (K frame), that means the end link sleeve is too long (again, in principle). But you should bounce the car and check for clearance over the full range of suspension travel before doing anything irreversible like cutting down the sleeve.

Hello good FABO folks,
Getting ready to install my sway bars and have a generic link kit. Does it matter how long the bolt sleeve is, as long as we have appropriate clearance with other parts?
This is going on a '72 Duster that has a later model spool mount K frame. The sleeves in the kit I have measure 2 3/4" long.
Thanks,
C

-
Back