sway bar

-

1974duster

Reaction score
i am looking to to get front sway bar for my 1974 duster the one i was thinking about getting is Hotchkis 1.5'' is that over kill if so what would be a good size to get

I have the Hotchkis 73-76 sway bar on my car. It was the prototype/first one. It is 1.25"

Very high quality piece. They made it so there is not a bend in the middle of it to get the maximum performance out of it. The end links are rounded so they don't hit/snag on the LCA. The end links are cupped to accept the poly bushing too.

The frame mounts are channeled and they use aluminum spacers to save weight. The poly bushing retainers are gusseted for strength and stability.

Attachments

• Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm08.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm25.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 252
  • Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm22.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Hotchkis11_22_10TVSBuildSm12.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 273
i have seen your post on here you are using 1'' torsion bar right so how is that size of sway bar working out? here is a link to the one i am thinking about getting http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-22385F/

I ran 1" T-bar from 1994 to 2010. With those T-bars I ran: stock sway bar, 1 1/8 solid sway bar and 1 1/4" hollow sway bar.

Last summer when I added the Hotchkis stuff I also switched to the mondo 1.14" T-bars. I run the 1 1/4" hollow sway bar with that.

You want part number 22386F:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-22386F/

http://www.hotchkis.net/7376_dodge_abody_front_sway_bar.html

22385 is for 67-72 A-bodies and different than your 74 Duster IF it has the original K-member.

how did the 1'' torsion bar ride like ?? i am going to add them too, i also bought Edelbrock Performer IAS for shock in the front

how did the 1'' torsion bar ride like ?? i am going to add them too, i also bought Edelbrock Performer IAS for shock in the front

In terms of firmness, about like an old IROC Z.

What tire size are you running? The thinner the side wall the rougher the ride. Edelbrock I think are better than KYB. But I haven't run Edelbrocks personally. From what others have reported, the Bilstein RCD are better than Edlebrocks.

my tire size is p195/75r14 what if i dont want to weild on sway bar taps what are my options ?

my tire size is p195/75r14 what if i dont want to weild on sway bar taps what are my options ?

Could bolt on thick angle iron with two holes. Should slide spacer between LCA where you drill the hole so you can bolt it across the LCA. Sort of like the shock.

Should not be a big deal for a muffler shop to weld those Hotchkis sway bar tabs though.

Would be nice to get some bigger tires if you are interested in handling. Like 225/60/14. Or on a budget jump to some 15x7 cop rims and 225/60/15 tires.

that is what i have on it right now i was planning on getting bigger tires and wheels

i am looking to to get front sway bar for my 1974 duster the one i was thinking about getting is Hotchkis 1.5'' is that over kill if so what would be a good size to get

fWhat? 1.5? Thats sweet. I would run the biggest one in the world. But, alas, I am quite novice at suspension setup so, yea.. :drinkers:

I am going to go ahead and speculate that firm feels 1.25 inch solid bar has more torisonal rigidity than hotchkiss' 1.25 hollow barz.

I am going to go ahead and speculate that firm feels 1.25 inch solid bar has more torisonal rigidity than hotchkiss' 1.25 hollow barz.

The solid bars are just a little bit stiffer in twisting (torsion) than a solid bar. The torsional rigidity of a solid bar mostly comes front the outside of the bar. The center doesn't do much. A hollow 1.25" bar will weigh about 7-9 lbs less than a 1.25" solid bar.

A straight bar like the hotchkis is slightly stiffer than one with a bend or kink in it.

would Lower Control Arm Stiffening Plates be a do idea ??

A 1"x1" strap welded under the 73-76 LCA sway bar tab will do nearly the same.

vbpgimage.php

-
Back