swinger "special"

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
over the last few days a lot has kicked up about these particular swingers that are "special"

it has been brought to my attention that these cars are rare. well amongst the rare ones im seeing, they are 340 cars

so my question is: are all Swinger Specials rare or just the Swinger Specials that were born with a 340?

i have one that is a real swinger special (LL23G2R) but it was only a 318/ 3 speed car originally

i hope its not that rare bcoz i have really modified this one LOL
i canned the original dash and place a 71 Rally dash and the original 318 was replaced with a 440 and driven as a daily for a year and a half with the 440 by me LOL :eek:ops:

Anyone have more info on the Swinger Special ...especially an explaination why its different from the other swingers

Attachments

• CIMG7408 - Copy.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 320
  • CIMG8203.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 306
  • CIMG8208.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 304
  • pd2101981.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 329
I have seen them in salvage yards here in MN, none have ever been a 340 car, the ones I have seen are 318 or slanty ones.....rare? I am not sure on that one....:glasses7:

And if I remember correstly, one I seen was a 4-door.....

I have seen them in salvage yards here in MN, none have ever been a 340 car, the ones I have seen are 318 or slanty ones.....rare? I am not sure on that one....:glasses7:

And if I remember correstly, one I seen was a 4-door.....

every one i have seen has been a slant or 318 as well. i am pretty sure it was a trim level, but not sure.......

Rare and valuable are two different things. The Specials were just base models with no options. The 71 and 72 340 cars were Canada only

I could be wrong but I think people are referring to 340 cars because they think that the Demon and Duster were the only a bodies available with a 340 in 71/72??

Rare and valuable are two different things. The Specials were just base models with no options. The 71 and 72 340 cars were Canada only

i can believe that bcoz this car has no options at all no drip rail chrome, no chrome around the grille. Manual steering no extra lights. no bumper guards..... it did have an 8 3/4 originally which is the main reason i bought it in the first place LOL

its really a plain jane with no make-up

There is one of them here in my city. It is very plain jane with a 318 three speed on the floor.

I thougth they were an option offered and installed by the selling dealer

over the last few days a lot has kicked up about these particular swingers that are "special"

it has been brought to my attention that these cars are rare. well amongst the rare ones im seeing, they are 340 cars

so my question is: are all Swinger Specials rare or just the Swinger Specials that were born with a 340?

The info you are referring to is of a handful of '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials built for 3 Western Canadian Dealerships. The 340 was never offered in a Dart Swinger after 1970. They were replaced by the new for '71 Demon 340 (along with the Duster 340), so the biggest engine put into a Swinger from then on was the 318 (which you have). With that said, these 3 dealerships (think Grande Spalding Dodge on a very small scale) somehow convinced head office to drop 340's into a few base, stripped down, LL coded Swinger Specials.

So, the Swinger Special (1971 to 1976) was a code LL which was the base model, no frills and very inexpensive price-point car. A lot were sold in both the US and Canada and most came with a 6 cylinder and a few came with 318's but no 340's - except for these.

These '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials are the only ones to exist in the world and for 1971, there were a total of 65 built for Crosstown Motors in Edmonton, Alberta and Crestview Dodge in Regina, Saskatchewan. There were another 65 built for, again, Crosstown and this time, Pembina Dodge in Winnipeg, Manitoba with the lions share going to Crosstown.

Hope that clarify's things, so keep an eye out for a Swinger Special with hood scoops and an H in the VIN.

-
Back